Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 8 April 2013
I bought this cookbook after much deliberation. I'd read it was Mexican focused but then read the contrary. I'd read the author knew nothing about cooking - then read the contrary. I eventually took the plunge with an Amazon gift card and found that the book is NOT Mexican focused (but there are plenty of Tex-Mex recipes to satisfy) and that Eva Longoria seems passionate about cooking and feeding friends and family although clearly not trained.

That said, Longoria's passion in the kitchen is the kind of food writing and recipe building I gravitate towards and therefore can't wait to try the recipes. Most look simple enough and not too expensive. The reasons I give it three stars would be that a lot of the recipes look like they'd feed a family of eight - so for two people I'm not sure when the opportunity will present itself. Additionally, not being wholly Mexican focused, the book loses a bit of a thread and doesn't seem cohesive in parts. Supposedly Longoria marketed the content as 'her journey' with food - growing up in Texas but then travelling internationally as an actress. That said, it might have made more sense to stick with her roots and really demonstrate her expertise in one cuisine.

It's probably a book just for Eva Longoria fans, not for those looking for a Mexican cookbook by a star name.
on 2 April 2013
Bought this book as wanted some authentic tex-mex recipes. It definitely delivers on that front and so much more. I own a lot of cookbooks and have probably cooked more dishes from this one than any other. The recipes are strong on practical family cooking, great flavours and easy to source inexpensive ingredients. The only minor problem is she does occasionally recommend several different sorts of chilies not easy to get in the UK. The recipe for the guacamole is incredible, I'll never buy ready made again. There's some really clever recipes in this book that I haven't seen elsewhere and would gave not thought to put together myself e.g strawberry and goats cheese salad. The flavour combos work really well and are easy to get right. There's also some great international dishes too. Her recipe for turkey shepherds pie is lovely. A very useful cookbook - highly recommended.
on 30 December 2013
Easy to read and the recipes are well laid out. I use the tortilla recipe regularly and refuse to buy them as this recipe produces delicious wheat or corn wraps. I also like the short anecdotes at the beginning of each recipe, it feels like a collection of family recipes. I am not a massive Eva fan but believe her book has kudos as a standalone cookbook not just a celebrity endorsement.
on 15 September 2011
Enjoying this book. The recipes are clear and easy to follow with good pictures. Those I have tried so far have worked out well and tasted great.
on 25 July 2014