on 13 October 2011
I wanted to convert language lessons I had bought as PDFs, as they each took up 9 pages and I could fit them onto 4 by copying and pasting onto word, but this took ages. I had 60 lessons to do. I quickly gave up, and thought I'd try this very cheap software instead.

The software was easy and very quick to install, although they do try to get you to go to a website and 'register' before they put up the installation options on the screen - so just give a false or old email if this happens, and remember to un-tick the usual boxes that result in junk mail.

The software worked very quickly on each document, the conversion took a couple of seconds. The results were pretty good overall. It kept font formats. It also separated the graphics, although the handles for selecting the graphic seemed to be much bigger. However, you could still perform the usual graphics operations in word (move and delete etc).

My only disappointment was the fact that it retained the hard returns at the end of each single line, I was hoping for word wrap so I could widen my margins and get more words onto a line. So although you can just narrow your top and bottom margin with no problem, you can not do anything about the right margin, unless you manually go in and delete each hard return on each line on your own and this can take ages. Because of this I only managed to get my 9 pages into 6. NOTE - you can select a 'no line breaks' option - but you then lose all line formatting (headings subheadings etc) and end up with one massive paragraph as it can't make a distinction between a line break followed by a blank line (which is a heading) and a line ending within a paragraph.

It will recognise tables, and reproduce their appearance, but will copy them as two columns with the table lines being a separate graphic, which you can move around separately. This is fine if you do not want to add to the table or edit it in any way.

In summary - it's cheap, quick to use, and it works well so it is worth buying, but I'd pay more for something that would remove the hard returns, yet keep the layout, if this were possible.
22 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2015
This is mostly OK for me, simply because I have the spare time to alter things, and mostly because I wanted a program to remove text from PDF's only now and again, so as to quote in articles or on Facebook etc.
If you desire to transfer an entire PDF to Word in perfect Word format then forget this program, it doesn't do so. It adds paragraph marks to the end of lines here and there for one thing, and one or two other oddities I would not know how to describe.
But if does allow the transfer of selected pages, so for me this is ideal, because if I simply want to quote from pages 40-41 say, that's all I have to transfer, and this doesn't leave me too much to edit, and will still be quicker than retyping passages.
So 4 star for me, but if wanting a perfect full manuscript then probably a single star only.
on 27 April 2017
Does not work.
on 13 February 2012
My needs for converting PDF to Word are fairly basic - although some of the documents are quite long, I tend to have little need to do anything involving complex graphics.

I have to say that I have found the software to be very impressive - quick and, more importantly, accurate for text-heavy documents.

As the other reviewer said, there are one or two matters that possibly could be improved, but then what software is perfect? For the money (Amazon under £6) I am seriously impressed. Worth buying I'd say.
on 12 January 2014
Should have known better as it sounded too good to be true for the price. Quite frankly I still cannot figure this software out as it does in a fashion convert PDF to word.doc but not really. Confused? Yes, so am I. Whether it really does anything still remains a mystery to me. You end up saving as a word.doc but editing is problematic and unstable. Some fields you can click in to whilst others you cannot? Worst still is that if you do attempt to edit you end up with numerous copies of the same saved document without having saved it again. Even worse still is that you cannot delete all of these duplicates, it won't let you. Whether I've installed some sort of spyware/trojan horse software is yet to be discovered and that's one for my husband to sort out (as per usual)! Having installed this software myself (tend not to do this and do leave this type of operation to my husband just in case I do mess the computer up) I'm not going to even go there attempting to uninstall it - given that you cannot delete duplicated files. Given the problems that I have encountered and I am very comp savvy, I really would not recommend this pdf converter as I just get the feeling that it's just not 'right'. It happened before about a year ago with some software that we bought and this latest too good to be true offering has the same feel about it and is behaving in a similar way. I really should have known better than to attempt to save a few pounds for this type of converter and trust me I am kicking my own butt big time! I am now promising myself that I'll never be this foolish ever again! Dig deep in to your pocket and buy the genuine software as opposed to an imposter!
on 18 December 2012
I needed a software that did the job without being too complicated, this fits the bill. Ideal for a small budget
on 28 August 2012
There are many expensive products about on the net doing the same job. Essentials PDF-to-Word for the price is the very best investment I've ever made, apart from not having word wrap, it does what it says on the box. It is the best in the market place for this price.
VINE VOICEon 17 July 2013
Having tried a more prestigious firm's software and did not get the results I required I followed the very helpful reviews on this product.
It was very easy to install and did the task required swiftly and effectively. I did not get the exact result I was looking for but had a very helpful e-mail reply to my enquiries, which led me to conclude the problem I was meeting was caused by the age of the PDFs I was working with and not any short comings with the software I had purchased
My problems aside I would recommend this product as inexpensive and very user friendly .
on 25 March 2014
We have used this program to convert documents that come from customers. We found that if the original document was generated as text, then this program could convert it back to Word without any problems and the text can then be edited. If the original document had been scanned and made into a pdf, then the converter converts it back to a picture and the text cannot be edited.
We had to use Adobe Export pdf to be able to edit this. Currently Adobe Export pdf is costing over $19 per year to license, so is a lot more expensive.
on 15 March 2014
only used this a few times for simple conversions but worked every time Really good value and easy to install