on 9 September 2016
Use this all the time. Manages to be brief and cover detail at the same time. Vg.
on 7 September 2015
very good
on 7 September 2015
very good
on 25 October 2017
Not bad but too short...
on 16 May 2016
Good book, good delivery.
No problema with ir whatsoever
on 4 July 2016
Superb! Efficient delivery and high quality
on 7 September 2014
Very useful for part 1 MRCPCH
on 12 December 2012
I used this for part 1a and 1b MRCPCH in addition to the Pastest online questions and passed! Provides clear bullet points about all of the essential topics. As commented by another user, you will need to read around the topic a bit more to get a full understanding, but I just used google and made additional notes in the book.
One person found this helpful
on 29 December 2011
I would recommend this book to any Paediatric trainee revising for MRCPCH. Useful for both written exams and clinicals.

Information is offered as lists with expanded explanations when necessary making it very readable, whilst also useful for reference post exams.

I still needed to read round on a few topics using internet/larger text books - but I think this is true when using any concise text.

Overall my colleagues who have taken the exam all found this book useful and certainly much better than the more expensive 2 volume "Master Course books".

For the written exams I would recommend this book plus online Pastest and/or On examination question banks (I also had paediatric radiology and concise pharmacology books for reference but did not read cover to cover). Make sure you go through every question of whichever question bank you use at least twice - really helps drill in commonly asked facts. I used On examination for Part 1 and Pastest for Part 2 written. Overall I preferred Pastest, as I found them harder.

For clinicals - this book, Clinical Paediatrics by Terence Stephenson (read both books cover to cover 2-3 months pre exam). Then see ward patients, attend clinics, Pastest 2 day course, MRPCH circuits book, communication scenarios book and online MRCPCH 2008 website (which had lots of video station examples) 4-6 weeks pre exam.

Sounds like a lot...and it was. Literally 2 months of solid work with very few days off (warn your other half before starting!)..but worth it to pass.
7 people found this helpful
on 5 November 2013
I bought this book to help study for my MRCPCH Part 1A+B, expecting it to come in very useful whilst doing practice questions and making notes.

Unfortunately the level of detail is often very poor, with information presented in the format of continuous lists with no explanation and frequent omissions.

You're better off sticking with google, wikipedia and the professional reference section of patient UK. Free, better laid out, quicker to access and allows you to decide on the level of detail you need for each topic.

As my study went on, I found myself reaching for the book less and less, and eventually found it didn't get opened at all in the weeks leading to the exam.
One person found this helpful