TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 October 2009
Although a beginner in Portuguese, this book has broadened my understanding of the grammer of the language considerably thereby letting me find order in the overwhelming amount of information I'm trying to assimilate.

Every possible nuance of the language is covered (both European and Brazilian) and it's entirely up to the reader how deep (s)he wants to dive in. I personally drew the line at Preterite Subjunctive and decided that the present tense, preterite and future would be enough to get me by - but it's all there if you want to. It's probably up to GCSE level and beyond.

There's a very useful list of regular/irregular verbs at the back which everybody studying Portuguese will have to tackle sooner or later and this is nicely laid out.

Especially useful is the English literal translation of some phrases together with what an English speaking person would actually say, in order that the Portugues can be made sense of.

Well worth it if you remotely serious about studying Portuguese.
on 30 August 2017
Getting to grips with it but seems it will be an essential asset.
on 13 September 2017
This is essential reading if you want to acquaint yourself with the Portuguese grammar.
Read it all the way through once, then go back and read it all again. You will be surprised how much clearer it all becomes and how much sticks.
on 30 July 1999
This is the best portuguese grammar book I have come across out of my vast collection of portuguese study materials. The author simplifies the distinction between the use of various tenses, demonstratives, articles and other aspects of grammar usage through narratives and examples. This book has been absolutely essential to my learning. My fiance's family have commented that I articulate better than their relatives in Portugal. With the help of this book, I am able to write letters overseas. My fiances' family overseas are very impressed especially since I am not portuguese. I highly recommend this book. The overall format, content and strucuture is better than any language textbook I have come across.
0Comment| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2014
Absolutely fantastic grammar book, and it points out the differences between European Portuguese and Brazilian, which is really useful. It's a simple layout but very clear to read; focusing thoroughly on teaching you everything you need to know about Portuguese grammar.
Would definitely recommend this book either if you wish to learn to language or if you just want to refresh your memory. Excellent book.
on 13 March 2017
Love it. Very useful
on 27 October 2016
GREAT LITTLE PORTUGUESE GRAMMAR REFRESHER. AS A BRAZILIAN PORTUGUESE SPEAKER FROM YEARS AGO BACKPACKING TRIPS i LEARNED SOME OF THE REALLY ELEGANT FEATURES OF PORTUGESE PORTUGUESE THAT ARE NOT USED IN BRAZIL.

SO MUCH MORE ELEGANT THAN FRENCH OR SPANISH, YET SO DISTINCTLY SIMILAR AND FAMILIAR TO BOTH...

WELL ITS ALL LATIN REALLY

i HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK FOR ANYONE WHO ALREADY SPEAKS A LITTLE PORTUGUESE BUT HASNT QUITE CONQUERED THE MANY ELEGANT LOGICAL CONTRACTIONS THAT ARE AVAILABLE TO PORTUGUESE SPEAKERS.
on 26 November 2011
This is an excellent little book. Verbs are well explained: how to form the different tenses, explanation of the different tenses and their Portuguese uses, Regular, consonant changing verbs and of course irregular verbs.
It also shows you complete tables of the regular verbs for the three conjugation. I thas a fairly good list of irregular verbs.
Of course, it has a chapter on nouns, adjectives, pronouns, prepositions. There is a glossary of grammatical terms, so you know what an indirect object is.
Articles and how to combine them with prepositions. I was glad to see some complex forms like the future perfect.

I tell you about something that stuck with me since my schooldays ( I'm 62 presently!). we had a Latin Teacher who was generous with her punishment. Invariably you had to write down 20 verbs, conjugated fully. Nowadays, I really know how to conjugsate verbs (this was in French!). Apply this method to copy the verbs over and over and you will be able to conjugate them, the forms will become recognizable and you will remember them.

OK! In summary, This is a very good grammar for a beginner. Of course, it is hard work. I have two copies, one in the lounge and one by my bedsite. So when I wake up during the night, I read an irregular verb or two!
I like this book because it is portable and the reference (with index at the back) are easy to find. Very practical and thorough enough. I like the cover with the Portuguese flag and the Belem tower in Lisbon. To me, it is a very conducive book which will lead you into the mystery of Portuguese in a friendly way. Have it at hand, it is so portable, you won't need to lug it around.Abook that want you to become friend with Portuguese.
on 3 September 2014
Whilst the overall structure of this book is OK the content is spoiled by its conversion to the kindle format. Listings that were formatted for the print version come out partially or completely unformatted. But the worst thing is that some tables have been scanned as images rather than text, and therefore cannot be zoomed or changed in size, so that they appear illegibly small on my nexus 7. Since these tables are some of the most important reference sources (for example, verb declentions and personal pronouns) this severely limits its utility as a true or useful reference source.
on 10 August 2015
I am starting to learn Portuguese and thought that I would start with some grammar, being an "old fashioned" learner! In my opinion this is an excellent book and VERY well explained. I know some French and can compare how a language is taught. For a beginner this book will provide the foundations of the Portuguese language.