on 15 May 2014
I grew up with indian parents and expected that I knew how to cook indian food. Madhur jaffreys combinations of spices and delicate aromas blows me away. The other day we had a curry from another book by a different chef and my partner said 'its ok but its not madhur'. Need I say more.
One person found this helpful
on 25 August 2015
Lovely book with some great recipes.Not too big or heavy,doesn't take up too much space.Love it :)
on 31 October 2013
Excellent book as always by this writer. I enjoy her writing as much as her food.The book is in perfect condition. Arrived about 4 days later than estimated.
on 1 December 2013
good book
on 16 June 2016
Easy to follow, good variety of recipes.
on 2 August 2007
This is the only Indian cookery book I use, because the recipes are straightforward, and the flavours are fresh and clean.

Jaffrey writes well, and makes her food sound appetising. The recipes are approachable and she gives helpful hints on combining different dishes.

This is a small, sleek paperback. There are no pictures, but that did not bother me at all. In a way, without pictures to distract you from presentation, it makes you concentrate on the flavours when choosing what to cook. I still enjoy browsing through it.

I have recommended this book and lent it to friends, who have gone on to buy their own copy.

Highly recommended.
3 people found this helpful
on 13 August 2002
A really handy compact cookbook with lots of ideas, some taken over from the famous, successful 1983 book (MJ's Indian Cooking) but many are new. Nicely presented recipes and all (at least the many I tried) very cookable. Only weakness: I like pictures. But that's why I also bought "Foolproof Indian Cookery" by the same author!
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 15 September 2006
This book was quite disappointing as there are NO pictures, something I feel is essential in a cookery book. The recipes seem easy but you have no idea what you are aspiring to and the way the dish should finally look. Most of the spices used are readily available (even here in Spain) except for Asafetida which I had never come across before (even in England) and no alternative is suggested.

The method for cooking the recipes is written as an easy to understand narrative
5 people found this helpful