Essence and Alchemy: A Book of Perfume Hardcover – 17 Sep 2001
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Probably the ultimate Christmas present for the modern aesthete" -- Evening Standard --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
About the Author
Mandy Aftel is the founder of Aftelier, through which she creates one-of-a-kind perfumes for individuals and private labels. She is also a counselor who specializes in working with artists and writers. She is the author of three previous books, most recently The Story of Your Life. She lives in Berkeley, California.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The author provides some history, but it is very short and my impression while reading was that it's very unfocused. There's no timeline, no key thought to hold it all together as the author just rambles on about alchemy and how magical perfume is, which is not at all how I like my history served. The whole book up to the actual perfume making from essential oils is very repetitive and all I remember stated over and over again in one way or another boils down to: essential oils good (and earthy, natural, magical, etc.), synthetic compounds bad (non-magical and earthy that is). After a few times reading what is really only the author's subjective feeling and preference in choosing the ingredients for her everyday work I seriously considered putting the book down.
When you go past the whole alchemy/history piece, you get to what clearly is the author's passion - actual perfume making. Still infused with the "natural good, synthetic bad" approach, I imagine it would be extremely helpful to anyone wanting to make their own perfume. It was very informative, consistent and organized, taking the reader step by step further into the secrets of composition, actual mixing of ingredients and all the equipment you need to start your own perfumery workshop, from beginner to advanced perfumer.Read more ›
I reccomend it for everyone starting to understand perfumery.
I felt like I was reading such a complex, interesting subject. It make me want to go and research everything I can on perfume.
It has made me want to be apart of creating natural perfumes. It opens your eyes to the sadness of loss of great natural perfumes and smells
This is an amazing book, by just reading this you will feel true passion for anything you love.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I really love this book and I am now making my own perfume - thank you :o)Published 20 months ago by Wendy
Very fast delivery, book in good order (very good book too!).Published 20 months ago by Anna Richardson
Excellent introduction to perfume making for the beginner seeking to understand perfumery, the making and background. It is easy to read and not loaded with technical jargon.Published on 12 Aug. 2013 by MaiaTheBee
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Beauty & Fashion > Cosmetics & Skin Care
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Self Help > Practical & Motivational
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects
- Books > History > Religious History > Other Religions
- Books > History > Social & Economic History
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Occultism > Magic
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Thought & Practice > New Age
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Earth-Based Religions > Magic & Alchemy
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Occult
- Books > Science & Nature > Chemistry
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Bioengineering
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Chemical > Industrial Chemistry
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Industrial Chemistry & Manufacturing Technologies