on 23 January 2017
I find Locke's writing incredibly boring and laboured, I don't think he is a good philosopher in general and trying to read his writing is like trying to wade up a waterfall
on 24 April 2015
Fantastic service and item. Exactly as described and fast delivery, A***
VINE VOICEon 21 September 2002
I won't go into the depths of Locke studies here. Suffice to say he was the first of the 'British Empiricists'; building on Descartes' ideas and beginning an epistemology that influenced Berkely, Hume and many others. The Essay is a (very) lengthy account of his ideas - in which he begins by denying the possibility of innate ideas and goes on to explain how we come by all our ideas, discussing on the way his influential ideas on personal identity and primary and secondary qualities.
If you want the best scholarly version, it's undoubtedly Nidditch's Clarendon Press one. This version doesn't offer so much in the way of notes; but it has a basic introduction, original spelling and IMPORTANT: is the cheapest unabridged version of the Essay I've come across.
on 7 February 2011
I'm not sure that this will bother most people, but when I realized that this book was abridged it really got under my skin. I was 250 pages in when I happened to glance at the first few pages and realized that it was abridged. I'm not claiming that you lose much in this abridgement, but I do think that more effort should be made to point out an abridged copy versus an unabridged copy. Some people (like me) prefer their philosophy texts whole. I would not have purchased this had I know it was abridged.
on 28 April 2010
Legendary book. However, please do be advised that the Oxford World's Classics edition of this book is NOT an unabridged edition (contrary a statement by one of the other reviewers). It is not at all clear on Amazon's product page, in fact its just not marked anywhere. But you can see for yourself by using "Look inside" and navigating to the press details. Don't make the mistake I did!
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2014
I love this book. It will last for many, many years for what is written inside, what it is all about, is timeless.
VINE VOICEon 21 September 2002
The problem that the essay has is that it's over-long (at about 800 pages) and filled with rambling repetition. Not actually amnaging to get through it all myself, I thought this abridged version might contain the highlights as it were... Well, if you have only a passing interest, this book is cheap and does set out Locke's main ideas without much repetition. For serious study, however, I'd invest a bit more for an unabridged copy (the cheapest I think is Penguin Classics; the best the one edited by Nidditch)
on 11 May 2016
All good
on 25 March 2013
Although written in old English there is absolutely no denying the logic. He painstakingly takes you through undeniably statements that are so simple that you must agree with him. Then having agreed, he hold up more complex issue that politics and social engineer may have set up and dares you to deny the logic.
on 10 December 2014