Customer reviews

Format: Vinyl|Change

on 23 August 2014
An outstanding tribute to a legend of electric guitar not often appreciated for the great musician he was. There are plenty of other more erudite reviews here on Amazon so I will keep this short and sweet.

I am pleased that Eric did not add "Cocaine" or "After Midnight" to the track list as these numbers have been well covered by his own band - although one glaring omission might be "City Girls" which is a typically laid-back Cale number just as accessible as "Call Me the Breeze". The latter is my favourite Cale song and I was pleased to hear the quirky introduction and drum machine reproduced faithfully on this album. We all know that Lynyrd Skynyrd covered this number although to to be honest my favourite version is by Bernie Marsden. However, I digress...

Play this in your car and you will slip into steady cruise mode, perhaps listening for and recognising the particular unique signatures of the Clapton and Knopfler guitar techniques. This will save you fuel and I expect you will recoup its cost in a few weeks!

I have to report that the first CD I received had a glaring manufacturing flaw which was clearly visible on the playing surface. It would not play past track 10. The replacement service from Amazon was outstanding and the new CD plays just fine.
on 7 October 2014
I'm really enjoying this album. I've seen some poor reviews from people who know the original versions of the songs, I however am not in that position. Perhaps it helps to listen with a clear mind. I like the arangements, and the fact that you can hear each artists style coming through on their tracks, particularly Mark Knopfler on "Someday". I also think that Willie Nelson (of whom I'm not a big fan) does a great job with the vocals on "Songbird".

The songs themselve are quite simple, lyrically anyway. Its very easy listening. Definatley something to chill out and listen to. I'm ashamed to say i havent even played the Vinyl yet, as I've been listening to the MP3 version Amazon provided for download; but I am especially looking forward to sitting down, relaxing and listening to it some evening after work. I bought the Vinly verion on a hunch that it might be good, and i definately feel I've made the right choice.

I would reccomend this record if you like Dire Straits, particularly some of their slower tracks, Mark knopfler of course. The other artists i cant really comment on as I am not familiar with them.
on 23 August 2017
Great Cd from Eric Clapton, who is mourning the passing of his great friend J.J. Cale, Fab songs from various artists.
on 24 May 2017
Good link up with EC in memory of JJ Cale
on 21 September 2017
Just fine, no problems. Cheers.
on 28 June 2017
Mostly enjoyable tribute album
on 4 March 2017
Good Tribute album
on 8 August 2015
So many of my favourite artists on one album dedicated to the peerless JJ Cale. Especially love Mark Knopfler doing Someday - just makes me melt Fantastic album..
on 19 September 2017
Brilliant. !,
on 26 March 2017
Some great covers on this CD