on 27 April 2018
I really enjoyed this very open and frank autobiography which tells the life of the best darts player I ever saw. I first fell in love with Brissie when i saw him make his televised debut, i was 13 he looked about 19 or 20. I was hooked and followed him avidly whenever i could from that moment on. Having spent a lot of time with professional musicians there are real parallels in this book which i totally identify with. There is the same obsession to live and breathe what they do 24/7 as Eric always had with darts. I can also see why Brissie had the same relationship issues that so many pro musicians also suffer. Seems to me you need to be the same mindset to make it really work. When the other half is not, these women always then seem to be really needy and whiney and demanding instead of getting on with something that gives them an interest to focus on and provides them independence as well. Such females would annoy the hell out of me also and I would never last with such mentality and selfishness either, male or female, I would get the hell out. Relationships aside Eric's autobiography is exactly as I expected having met him at Jolees in Stoke when I was 18 and he is in the book exactly like the man I met, adored and followed. He is arrogant, cocky, full of himself, no Angel as a teen or a pro and he has a real sense of humour, but a background of Stoke Newington that means he can hold his own as well and don't push this guy too far. This is a very entertaining read and very amusing at times. His best scores were not all on a dart board either. Like many bands and probably all professionals where groupies are concerned if it's there and it's offered on a plate you don't say no. Eric lived life in the fast lane. Eric also made Darts the sport it now is. Eric Bristow WAS Darts. He made legions of fans and a few plus enemies which was because he was the best, knew it and wasn't ashamed to admit it. Very American thinking, no wonder they loved him there. I would really recommend this. Eric was a petty thief as a young teen and Darts was his salvation. I've also known musicians from similar situations so i feel a real empathy for how it could have been were he not the brash but brilliant player and pro himself. His early death is a really sad day for darts and for all of us who loved him. Buy this book and see for yourself we have lost one hell of a sporting great. RIP Eric, I will truly miss you.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 29 April 2018
Being a huge darts fan and a fan of Eric Bristow it was a shock when he died at the Liverpool premier league event 2018 Eric was a true entertainer who spoke his mind sometimes with not a very good outcome he helped put the pdc on the map and open the door for today's darts players to become household names earning fortunes this book was a honest portrayal of Eric's life and darts career rip Brissy .kev dilks.
on 29 May 2018
Sometimes you think the person before read the book and judgements have been formed and sometimes you have to admit you are wrong. He does not hide his arrogance and how difficult he was to live with. His world gets turned round at the end of the book by a surprise discovery. His relationship and tutelage is amazing with Phil Taylor. Enjoy but there is a missing nine years before he died.
on 10 January 2016
Great book by someone who tells it how it is. I remember watching Eric Bristow in his prime on tv and I didn't like him at the time thinking he was full of himself. It wasn't until years later I realised how good he was and that it was mostly showmanship. This book has some great stories in and talks about all the players I used to watch in what was probably the golden age of darts.
One person found this helpful
on 10 January 2009
Before reading this I always had a negative opinion of Eric Bristow, mainly due to his almost arrogant on screen persona. Although his arrogance has not diminished in my eyes, I now have nothing but admiration for the guy; mainly due to his colossal ability on the oche, and to a lesser extent his ability in the bar, though compared to some of the players in this book he's a lightweight!!

Put simply, if you're anyway into darts and remember the heady days of the 80's when the players drank & smoked their way through some of the greatest games that the game has witnessed; and if you'd like a bit of background on the debauchery & superb anecdotes that went on behind the scenes, then buy this book.

Eric, you're a legend!
7 people found this helpful
on 3 January 2016
I loved reading this book Eric tells you how it is I was really young when Eric played but I loved watching him always the entertainer he should be on telly more often, love your book Eric you should pen some more about your crazy nights out they would definitely be best sellers keep shining Eric God bless you xx
on 12 September 2013
Liked Eric for a long time as he was always such a character with in the Darts fraternity and its subsequent rise to TV prominence. He really does just tell it as it is, its funny, sometimes a bit shocking and draws you in. If you saw him on TV in "Celebrity Jungle" the book shows that he was not acting, he really is a nice bloke, straight talking, working class, likeable and funny.
on 15 March 2015
Reading an autobiography you always run the risk of the author glossing over certain aspects of his life or telling outright lies but I never got this impression reading this one. I felt it came straight from the heart, warts and all, the story of one of the games greatest. From his humble beginnings to the top of the world and his struggles with Dartitis. Wonderfully told with very witty insights and passages and having met the man you can really hear him come off the page.
on 15 April 2018
Excellent read. So easy and straightforward. Eric tells it like it is and straight from the heart. I bought the book because Eric died the day before so also very sad.
on 23 April 2018
Have not gad time to read it yet