on 21 May 2014
Really happy with this, I have a Dell 24" monitor and it is heavy! The Ergotron LX has no problem with it, after a bit of tension adjusting it holds it rock steady while still allowing the monitor to be easily moved. I got this as I have a bad habit of stooping whilst using my PC and it gives me a bad back (after 8 hours a day slaving in front of it), this allows me to position the monitor at the correct height & distance. Absolutely chuffed with it worth every penny!
review image review image review image
on 24 September 2013
I use this with my Cintiq 22HD and it is brilliant. I toyed with getting the 24HD but I couldn't justify the price hike. The 24H's stand seemed much better than the 22HD. A wee bit of research and found I could potentially use this.

I love it, I move my tablet all over the place as I work and this has never had a problem. I can't really comment on longevity but (about 3 months in) it seems to be holding up fine.

The instructions are pretty good and you get all the wee bits to set it all up.

*Sorry this is all very tablet related but I couldn't see anything that covered what I wanted to know before I bought it.
VINE VOICEon 15 February 2015
I bought this to connect to a Samsung Syncmaster 245B 24 inch monitor, which I successfully managed to do. The arm has a lot of range of motion, and feels well built.

There is a video from the manufacturer here, showing how to install it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvK_RbLfQfg (has no sound)

The arm has a 100 x 100 VESA mounting. I needed to also purchase the "Ergotron VESA Bracket Adaptor Kit" (also sold by Amazon) to connect it to the 200 x 100 VESA mounting on my monitor. This was a little bit fiddly, and the screw-holes don't fully line up, but I got it working, and I'm no handyman!

Before I connected my monitor to the arm, I thought I'd check that the arm actually moved as it should, since I've seen a couple of people say that their arm didn't move, and that Ergotron had told them this was a fault. Well, I couldn't get the arm to move at all, so I contacted Ergotron support via their website, who quickly wrote back to say that the monitor acts as a counterbalance, and the arm won't move without it being there. That's true - as soon as I connected the monitor the arm moved fine.

There are a couple of Allen key holes that you can tighten and loosen to control the stiffness of the arm, for height and tilt adjustment. It's quite fiddly to get the Allen key into the holes when the whole thing is assembled, especially if you have your desk with its back to a wall, and it would have been easier if these were knobs rather than Allen keys. At least you do get an Allen key with a nice big handle included in the pack, which is good. My advice would be to tighten the Allen keys fairly tight (not quite all the way) before you attach the monitor, because it's a lot easier to access the Allen key holes before you've attached the monitor.
on 5 December 2013
This has made my set up much more user friendly, don't know why I didn't get something like this before. After building my own desktop I decided to add this as a finishing touch. I have mounted a 27 inch monitor to it. I had to use some washers to get it attached tightly but I believe that was an issue with my monitor having short vesa threads. Now I can sit on the couch and just swing the monitor around to watch something, I can bring it close to me for drawing, move it out of the way for easy access to the back of the pc. It looks really good and gives more room on my desk. Set up took a little tweaking with the strength of the spring loading using the allan key but then I was all set. I have it mounted to a 8mm glass table with no issue. No regular monitor stand comes close to the ergonomics of this device, recommended.
on 16 September 2013
It's rare to get a product that exceeds expectations but the Ergotron LX does it easily. A bit pricey but you get your money's worth. Quality build with sturdy well machined parts and a breeze to put together.

Pros:
Arrived professionally packaged
Easy assembly and mounting to desktop
Sturdy mounts and arms
Screws,wrenches,screwdrivers and misc well packaged
The arms provide a nice way to hide cables
Assembled and in use in 1/2 hour
No adjustments were necessary in my case (24" monitor)

Cons: No instruction manual. Easily found on Ergotron's website for download (7 pages). Good to have if you need to adjust the up/down tension which wasn't needed in my case.

I highly recommend the extra arm extension. The range of left and right folding motion doubles not to mention the extra extension distance.
on 15 December 2015
Essential for any artist using a graphics tablet. The flexibility it offers over conventional stands as well as the convenience of being able to move it away to create more room on one's desk top, puts it way above any other type of stand for such devices in my honest view.
on 21 February 2014
I feel a bit mean only giving 2 stars - but I do believe the product could be MUCH better designed.
I think many of the reviewers are (like me at first) delighted to have a monitor arm whereas before they didn't - but that doesn't mean this is the best arm you could ever wish for.

Good points
1. It looks smart and stylish with its silver and black colours.
2. It feels solid and robust. Well engineered, not flimsy or wobbly. The desk clamp in particular is solid as a rock.
3. Price was reasonable (reduced to about £106 from £160) cheaper than similar - e.g. Flo.
4. Frees up desk space underneath. (Ie it is a monitor arm!)

Weak points
1. Has no way (as far as I can tell) to stop the "elbow" swivelling right back and banging the wall behind the desk. Some rival products do have this feature. I have worked around this by altering the position of the clamp sideways relative to where I position the monitor usually. It's not easy to explain, but now when I push the monitor away the front arm swivels more than the back one so I don't bash the wall.

2. It is not easy to put the monitor exactly where I want it. For example, It doesn't want to move straight up and down - the movement is more curved because of the way the arm articulates. So it kind of moves sideways as well as up/down. I can overcome this, but i have to wrestle with it a bit. Likewise moving fwd or back, the screen does not automatically stay straight.

3. The biggest problem by far is that it is NOT HIGH ENOUGH. It was ok (just) at max height, until I raised my seat slightly to improve my sitting posture - but I can't raise the monitor any higher. The claimed height range of 18 inches is totally misleading. The arm's lowest position (without a monitor attached) is touching the desk. The highest position is 18" above the desk. But with a monitor attached it won't go so low of course. So the actual range is only 12". And who would want their monitor touching the desktop anyway??? With my 19" monitor attached the top of my screen is 22" from the desktop. It needs to be about 24".

Ergotron make a tall pole version of this product - I would recommend anyone reading this review to buy that version instead so you get 5 inches more height. (I am a very average height male by the way. Not super tall.).

I contacted Ergotron (in Holland) to try to get a tall pole. They do NOT sell it separately. The person I spoke to was very helpful and would have sent one free if they had one available - but they didn't. It was looking like I would have to send the whole thing back. But I found a small local engineering company that made me a new pole for £30. (This includes cutting a thread into it so it screw into the base - it's not just a pole, it's a bit more complicated than that!). This was still cheaper than buying the tall pole version because the short pole version is currently reduced by £60. But all in all a frustrating experience, because why why why do they sell this poorly designed version at all???

One last point - I think all the similar arms such as Flo have equally flawed design. In fact they are worse - at least Ergotron offer the tall pole version.
on 10 August 2016
This review is of both the standard “Ergotron LX Desk Mount LCD Arm” and the “Tall Pole” version – I purchased both.

There's not too much difference between the two versions. I was expecting the difference to only be that the tall pole version literally just had a taller pole. (I bought the taller pole one for occasionally watching something on a bunk bed.) However, the tall pole version has a larger, slightly different looking base too. It's not a real issue for me, but it's worth noting (as symmetry is quite important for some).

Overall, these are certainly quality products. Well designed and built. Well packaged. Easy to put together.

The only negatives are slight niggles:

1) For full range and manoeuvrability (especially if you have a short desk, like I do), be aware that you will need space behind the base. So if the base is located at the back of your desk, then your desk will need to be away from the wall (I need at least 20 cm to position my monitors together at the right height - ideally more, but that's as far out as I can go).
2) The fixing of the pole into place is done only by a hex screw – which just digs into the pole at a single, small point. I would have preferred a more secure, clamp type system.
3) Having to use cable ties for part of the cable management is a little strange. I'm not sure why they couldn't have designed this to be more adaptable. Twice I had to cut the ties as I had to move the cables (the first time because I hadn't left enough slack for full swivel manoeuvrability, the second because the USB cable ended up being too short to reach my PC without being too tight).
on 26 January 2011
This is my first experience with an arm for a monitor - well, personal experience, I've never had one myself - but so far I have to say I'm impressed. The counterbalance is near on perfect, the arm is easy to manipulate, and it's a breeze to set up.

The only downside I've found so far is that it doesn't quite go high enough. I originally bought this with the aim of making a standing desk, but it seems I'll have to further engineer it to get the monitor that high with this arm.

On the up side, the problem that other people seem to be mentioning about the base arm being hard to maneuver is a non-issue. From what I could figure, people were saying the base pole doesn't move, and amusingly enough it's not supposed to. The arm does have a grub screw to tighten it up, but I've left it loose for maximum movement. Maybe people have been tightening that and thinking the base pole was supposed to rotate? No idea.

The conclusion would be that this is a good arm.

Pros: Pretty much everything, except...
Cons: Doesn't raise high enough to my tastes.
on 3 August 2012
I had been shopping around for a monitor arm for a while and kept coming back to this one, but the price put me off a little. Eventually, I decided to take a punt on it and I'm glad that I did.

This arm is excellent quality. The arm base clamps to your desk in one of two ways. You can either use the pre-fitted clamp to mount it to the edge of your desk, or you can remove that and fit the included alternative mount that attaches the arm's base via a hole that you drill in your desk. I chose the latter option and the arm is rock solid. Allen keys are included to change the mount and the only tool you might need is a screwdriver to remove the screws from the back of your monitor to fit the VESA plate.

The end of the arm connects to your monitor via a standard VESA plate and 4 thumb screws. The actual arm itself is in 2 sections. There's a plastic cover on the bottom of the lower section which detaches, then you place the monitor cables inside and put the plastic cover back on. On the underside of the upper section of the arm are two spots where you can use zip ties (and 2 are included) to tie the cables up, so it all looks nice and neat when fitted properly.

There's plenty of adjustment options and you can move the arm up, down, left, right, tilt it forwards and backwards, and rotate it. You don't need any tools to adjust it - just grab the monitor and move it around, and it all feels nice and solid, so it's not going to move unless you want it to. Check the PDF files on Ergotron's site if you want to see the full range of motion.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this arm and I wish I'd bought it sooner. If you want a high quality, solid arm for your monitor, this is a great choice in my opinion. I bought mine from a third party Amazon seller called AVIDES who are based in Germany and the arm was received well packaged in 4 days, so no complaints there.