on 4 April 2018
You probably want to know about the contents:
For a journalist the text is well written. It does not pretend to know it all, you must ditch everything tone, it's reasonable and practical. The hardcover is of good quality. It has some structure, but the author tends to meander around inside sections. It does not give you 5 steps to eternal bliss. It's pleasant to read but nothing mind altering or shocking. Get and read it more like a statement.

The cover is a bit grayish, spotty, something you don't see from the photos on the Internet.
There are several words that I had to look up in a dictionary, but that's often a good sign.
I suggest to the prospective buyer to not read everything at once, because it has many references so take the time to follow, perhaps a few pages before sleeping.
WARNING:
I ordered this book, but then realized my birthday was forthcoming and I should put this on my wishlistr, immediately canceled but the order cancellation was ignored and the book was dispatched and could no longer be called back.
SO: think twice before you buy, ask yourself if your birthday is not soon.
WARNING2:
I bought it as occasion, Very Good, but in practice for the first time in my whole 45+ years of continuous existence I actually, I kid you not, had to use washing soap to remove the dirt and stains from the hard cover. SO: either buy it new, or buy it as Like New but then hard cover!

I should probably remove a star because of this, but since it is my very last item I will buy this year (promise!) its 5 stars serve as a hallmark of that intention.
on 24 May 2018
This is truly the best book I have ever read and all for £3.26 - its all about our world of 'too much' too much data, information, technology, food etc etc etc - its nice to know that it is not my imagination it really is like this now. If you can this book as a 'cheapie' just buy it but even full price it is worth the money ten times over. Its also very nicely written in a day-to-day format - yes this is an extremely good book
on 22 September 2013
This is a thoughtful and intelligent review of where we are as a society today, or at least where some of us are at any rate. If you're in the lucky position of being someone who suspects they may well have "Enough" of most things, this book may prod you to think about some other directions for your life and how you live it. This well certainly be the case if you've also managed to salt away a couple of million to help you sleep at night while you think about how you may get by living on less. I think the author highlights at one point that the deepest study of individuals who had opted out of the so called rat-race found that those who were happiest living without so much stuff had a serious wad of cash built up behind them. Plus they had a marketable skill that they could always use if they got bored and wanted to return to being a rat. (For an excellent example of this process in action, make sure you read Fisker's Early Retirement Extreme Early Retirement Extreme: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Financial Independence Fisker's book is excellent, but I don't think I'm giving anything away in revealing that after a few years of living on less, he went back to work. Check out his website too.)
This book is written in a breezy, easy style and wears its learning lightly. It won't change the world but it might just broaden your world view.
on 9 November 2017
I read this book for the first time around 5 months ago and decided to revisit it again last week. I found the book equally as compelling, if not more so, and managed to get even more out of it.

If you’re interested in ways to limit your consumption, reduce your waste, and take control of your impulses, this book is definitely for you.
on 28 August 2012
I bought this book on a whim- and found it to be a lively, thoughtful and intelligent book. Although some of the tips at the end of each chapter are not necessarily that easy to implement, the author's up-beat and positive tone really made me stop and think about how consumption has shaped our expectations from life. Worth a few quid and a couple of hours; the book probably won't change your life, but it will certainly help you to evaluate what's really important.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 January 2014
I am starting on the minimalist/simplicity road, changing little things everyday in my life to shed the excess and live within my spiritual, social, planetary, monetary and personal means. this book does not appear on lists of books on the subject, but should. it is very well written, entertaining, full of information and most importantly full of questions that each of us need to address if we are to change our world for the better.
on 21 May 2018
Brilliantly written, compelling topics and interesting questions raised by John Naish.
on 2 June 2012
I can't recommend this book highly Enough(!). I've read quite a few books covering this subject and this one best captures the essence of our "more more more" society. While other books focus mainly on one aspect - consumerism - this one brilliantly encapsulates all the manifestations of our excessive lifestyles. All written in an easy going humorous style, with plenty of helpful advice as to how we, as individuals, can make changes to our lifestyles that will improve ourselves and society generally. Superb!
6 people found this helpful
on 23 April 2012
I read this through easily in a couple of days. Although written pre-credit crunch, the 'afterword' brought the ideas up to date and posed some interesting questions. The subject is serious - how do we decided what is enough for us, without over-taxing the resources of planet? The need to be fair to our fellow global citizens is recognised, without the extreme solutions sometimes proposed by the 'long hair and lentils' brigade. The humour helps the text along, and caused me to laugh out loud at times. Could be a life-changing book for anyone prepared to take its proposals seriously.
on 6 April 2015
Make an effort and read this book! An eye-opening, well informed and well argued approach to our modern lives. Read one chapter a day to give you time to think about things...