Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 April 2017
Enigma is the second of Robert Harris' books that I have read, after the excellent "An Officer and a Spy".An Officer and a Spy

Without wishing to give away any of the plot details, the book is based around the code-breaking exploits at Bletchley Park, and is dripping with historic and accurate details of the era (a real treat if you're into cryptography) and interweaves true facts with a fast paced thrilling fictional tale.

I would highly recommend this for an exciting read with the chance to learn more about the amazing feats of Bletchley.
on 6 June 2015
I really enjoyed this book which gave an insight to what went on at Bletchley Park during the war, and the plot that was woven around the work that the code breakers actually did. I also saw the film, which although didn't follow the book exactly, was equally exciting. I think I will get more books from this author.
on 26 July 2016
The plot is convoluted - perhaps too convoluted. But for me the chief value of this novel was the recreation of the amazing Bletchley enterprise and its locus within a brilliant evocation of Britain at war.
on 4 March 2017
Very clever-- enigmxa within an enigma, with all the termini
Ogy of cryptanalysis. I loved the book. All who play chess, do crossword puzzles will love it!
on 24 July 2017
I always enjoy reading a book written by Robert Harries. This one however was laden with so much intricate detail concerning codes etc. it tended to take away the enjoyment that I normally experience. Hence my rating of four stars rather than a full five!
on 8 May 2017
As usual a great read. Thoroughly enjoyed it- can't get enough of Robert Harris's books. Wish he could write more quickly!
on 15 September 2014
Robert Harris is a fantastic author and his story-telling is simply wonderful. I have thoroughly enjoyed every single one of his novels and am in awe of his versatility and ability to create such intricately crafted but completely page-turning works of literature. Whether ancient or modern, real or imagined, historical, political or technological, I am seamlessly and completely drawn into his stories. Travelling with his characters and whatever intrigue surrounds them becomes addictive, no matter what the subject. For some reason, Enigma had escaped me until now but it's no exception. The tension is immense, subtle, total. One chapter to go - can't wait to get there but don't want to finish it either.
on 13 March 2017
I don't think Robert Harris puts a foot wrong in his storytelling, weaving truth with fiction. I'm late to his books but have devoured them all recently...definitely a good read
on 15 June 2017
A true spy novel with an unexpected twist brilliantly constructed with good caricaturization and in depth knowledge of a complex sudject
on 27 April 2017
A good credible story well told. Some of the constructs require reading twice but the images and characters are believable. I enjoyed the book.