Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Dec 2009 10:49:33 GMT
Can anyone tell me whether this box set has English subtitles or subtitles for the hard of hearing?

Posted on 24 Dec 2009 03:08:09 GMT
I know that the box doesn't state the subtitle information as I saw it in the shops and had a look. However, that definitely doesn't mean it doesn't have them...as it wouldn't be the first DVD packaging to omit such info. You're in luck though, I am due to receive this new set as a Christmas present tomorrow (Christmas day), I shall pop the discs in my player to check for you and will post back here to let you know. Just bear with me, as it is Christmas, but I shall not forget.

In the meantime, I know the previous set, that came with 8 discs instead of 4, had English HoH, so I'd be very surprised had they been omitted. This is just the usual ITV budget release where they cram the episodes on fewer discs than the original set and sell them far cheaper. I've got the Sharpe one (8 discs instead of 15) and they had the original English HoH subs. But I appreciate that you need to know for sure so I shall personally check for you. Watch this space.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2009 10:05:40 GMT
Thanks - I look forward to hearing the outcome.

Posted on 27 Dec 2009 03:00:23 GMT
I've not forgot about you...bad weather meant no post for 23rd and 24th December, so my brother never got it to give me on Christmas. It will be coming between now and new year's eve, I reckon, and he's going to bring it on New Years day....all being well. Will post again as soon as I have it and have checked.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2009 12:04:23 GMT
Thanks - have a good New Year!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2010 15:17:25 GMT
Yes...English HoH....all present and correct. Happy New Year!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2010 15:35:59 GMT
Thanks so much - we will now buy it!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2010 22:57:37 GMT
menkar says:
I wondered if you could write the barcode of your copy and check whether there are any special features or commentary tracks and whether these are subtitled?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2010 23:48:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2010 23:05:16 GMT
I'm away from home right now, so the barcode is impossible...but I can tell you that, unfortunately, there are no special features or commentary tracks whatsoever. There is a 'Collector's Edition' released in the region 1 territory (North America and Canada) that has a wealth of special features and a couple of commentaries by the makers. However, like this release, the previous region 2 releases have all been devoid of such niceties - which is a jolly bad show. You can get the aforementioned 'Collector's Edition' on eBay, though, for about £30. Of course you need a region free DVD player.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2010 11:07:34 GMT
menkar says:
Thank you, B.Pritchard. Can you tell me the barcode, when you are at home?
Sadly I don't own a NTSC-Television set, so the mentioned Region 1 "Collector's Edition" is not for me...

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2010 20:36:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2010 20:36:44 GMT
Barcode number:

Are you sure your TV can't do PAL 60 conversions? The vast majority of sets sold in, say, the last 10 years, can handle an NTSC signal.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2010 22:40:42 GMT
menkar says:
B.Pritchard, thank you for your answers !! My TV may handle NTSC signal, but I am not sure and I don't want to spend a lot of money for trying ... I better stick to PAL.

Posted on 22 Jul 2011 13:04:17 BDT
menkar.. and everyone!! You can go to videohelp.com, on the left side of the screen select dvd hack, then enter you dvd brand, model, serial number. That will bring up very EASY directions to make your dvd player region free. It is 3 simple steps with your remote. You will be able to view any dvd from anywhere!!!!

I too need subtitles. Don't know what is wrong with these companies. If you will note, this set, "Hornblower - Complete Collection [DVD]", does state in the "product description", that there are English subtitles. The ASIN is B002EAKWF2. Very happy for subtitles, but boo for no extras on this set!!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  23 Dec 2009
Latest post:  22 Jul 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about