English Society and the Prison: Time, Culture and Politics in the Development of the Modern Prison, 1850-1920 Hardcover – 23 Oct 2003
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
This is an interesting addition to the history of the English penal system. EHRAn important contribution to ongoing debates about the transformation of penal theory and its impact on the lives of prisoners. JOURNAL OF SOCIAL HISTORY, (US)An interesting, if depressing, discussion of the disturbances in English prisons and the structural problems that lay behind the tensions. ALBIONAn important contribution to our understanding of the development of the modern prison. (...) It also contributes to our still relatively fragmented knowledge of local prison practices before and after nationalization. BRITISH JOURNAL OF CRIMINOLOGYA welcome contribution to the history of English penology. (...) Instructive and provokes reflection on the full complexities of the subject. SOCIAL HISTORY (Canada)
About the Author
Dr ALYSON BROWN is lecturer in the history of crime at Edge Hill College of Further Education, Lancashire.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Industrial Revolution
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 19th Century
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > School Books
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Law & Disorder > Punishment