on 19 May 2011
Engaging the Powers: Discernment and Resistance in a World of Domination

I must admit that I have not finished this book yet. It is the sort of book that needs to be read slowly and taken in. It can be a bit repetitive in places, perhaps labouring some points more than is necessary, but then that can be useful as a means to absorb what is being said. Not a book to read for amusement. I suspect that you would need a real interest in the subject first! but it fits the bill for me as it follows on from lectures I have heard, other books I have read and is a subject that I find very interesting and worthwhile. It makes me realize how distorted and misused our reading and understanding of the Bible and the teachings of Jesus have become. I find myself frequently being able to make sense of things that sometimes made little sense before and there are plenty of 'O, Now I see!' moments. Perhaps the most important lesson to learn from this book is about Christian non-violence as a creative act of resistance against the modern day powers of domination.
on 28 April 2016
Walter Wink has a unique and thought-provoking approach to biblical texts that changes the way you think not only about scripture, but also about life. The ancient faith of the Israelites portrayed in the Bible was a lived faith, and Wink takes us back to that, while also projecting it forward into the most important issues and social institutions of our day. This is one book that will not be going off my shelf to the charity shop.
on 13 May 2013
Though it is a bit old now, this book still has enormous impact and relevance. Too often, Christianity has accepted violence as normal. The author argues convincingly that unquestioned myths about the necessity of violence in the resolution of societal and international conflicts control our thinking. He offers a radical Christian critique and suggests ways forward. This is the best of the series of books he wrote on the subject.
on 18 April 2014
One of the most astonishing things about this book to is not the theory of non-violence (although there is a lot of that), it is the growing awareness as you read that he sees and explains the World as Jesus saw it. Absolutely remarkable! If you are at my level of reading, you might need a dictionary to hand for some of the terminology, but well worth the effort.
on 19 December 2014
This was good but I felt only half the picture (probably because of Wink's ambivalence in vol 2 on the metaphysical status of the powers). But his exposition of non-resistance was inspiring.
on 25 October 2010
Engaging the Powers is a most profound book on conflict resolution, patriarchy, spiritual life and how to proactively engage with nonviolent ways. Led from a spiritual and theological background as the book is, be aware that Wink uses biblical and religious language, but in a revolutionary way he puts biblical quotes back into their contexts and explains the meaning of the words as they were used in the time different biblical texts were written (Wink being a professor of theology and bible interpretation).

A revolution of the mind and spirit! The most profound arguments for nonviolence I have come across.
on 15 October 2000
Walter Wink has written perhaps the most important book about non violent resistence and about evil of this century. It has been awarded many awards in USA. The question for us all - how to confront evil without becoming evil ourselves. For when we hate - we become what we hate. His scriptural exigesis is profound. A book that will change you and has changed me. His section on prayer quite simply took my breath away. The book took a long time to read because I can't take in that much knowledge and wisdom quickly. I found myself reading 8 or 10 pages and simply unable to take in anymore without processing what I had read. Yet it is imminently readable with real humor in spots. If you read one religious book this year, let it be this one.
on 19 September 2014
It certainly is engaging me; it's not a book I can read quickly. Needs to be thinking through and chewed over.
on 6 July 2009
Engagung the Powers Walter Wink
If you feel we are dominated by the Powerful this is something you must reed in order to understand how we can oppose the powers at source. It demonstrates how we can resist successfully using our hidden resources.