on 9 April 2016
I really enjoy these books. I usually get the hardback from my library when it is first published but I still buy the the kindle version once the paperback is published and the price drops a bit. I spend good money on a book I have already read because I enjoy it enough to read it again.

I read and loved all the Falco books too and yes this spin off series is darker in tone than those. No Falco and Helena are not seen much but then these books are about Flavia Albia. I really like the dark humour in these books, it does seem to suit the darker times bring portrayed in Rome.
on 10 August 2017
I read the original series, introduced by my Mother in Law who love " who done it books". I got hooked so was delighted to find the new Roman detective. I feel that I am learning more every time about Rome and their disgusting civilisation. I never like them, but I love the characters who could be any where and it is always goid
on 8 May 2017
I love reading lyndsey Davis, one of only 3 authors I've encountered that makes me laugh out loud one page, then get a little tearful the next. My only complaint is I've yet to see Falco make an appearance, but the other family makes some good cameos, especially at the end of the book, cannot remember om end thier one enough...
on 14 July 2017
Excellent read
on 16 June 2017
Again another good book I enjoy the back ground knowledge tho goes with the story . highly recommended . enjoy .
on 19 April 2014
This is my second Flavia Albia mystery, having read the previous book shortly before this one, but otherwise being new to Lindsey Davis’ mysteries and not having read her infamous Didius Falco series as I’m sure many readers of this spin-off will have. Whilst I found the opener to the series, The Ides of April, solid and entertaining, I easily guessed the mystery and I felt the pacing was little off the boil. Not so in Enemies at Home.

Here the new series seems to have hit its stride. Flavia Albia’s first person narrative voice is just as sardonic and direct as ever, and her witty observations guide us through the new mystery she's facing - a newlywed couple murdered with their silverware stolen and their slaves under suspicion having fled into sanctuary. In contrast to The Ides of April, I didn't guess the whodunit in advance, though the eventual culprit was on my shortlist, I felt the reveal wasn't telegraphed ahead of time and this definitely kept the mystery boiling at a much hotter temperature. Albia felt much sharper on the case here too, whereas in The Ides of April I felt she missed obvious clues, and I appreciated her methodical yet entertaining approach. The pacing feels tighter too; the mystery gets going a lot quicker than it did in the first novel, and the reveal occurs later, leaving just the right amount of satisfactory aftermath for wrapping things up. Davis introduces an eclectic group of suspects each of whom are working their own angle and with their own objectives in mind, which thickens the plot and keeps the mystery going until close to the reveal.

Coming to this series having not read Falco, I can't make the comparisons that long-time fans of Falco will, but I have to say Albia is beginning to grow on me. It's not earth-shattering high literature, but nor is it meant to be. Enemies at Home is quietly clever, witty, funny, and kind of charming, and that is what makes it so very readable and entertaining. Definitely a good read.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 20 September 2014
This is the first book by Lindsey Davis that I have read, but I shall be hunting out all her works immediately. I found this book reminiscent of Steven Saylor’s books of Rome and its mysteries, and it also features strong protagonists.

The story is set in AD 89, and the main character is an indomitable lady of around 30 years of age; Flavia Albia, the adopted daughter of Falco (who features in Lindsey Davis’ earlier series of some 20 novels) is working on her own merits as an investigator and informer (a particularly unliked character in the Roman world, whose use by the Emperor Domitian in particular led to people being ‘informed’ upon for all sorts of reasons of their own). However, Flavia Albia is an upright citizen of Rome, who seeks justice (as well as some recompense for her time and trouble). She is asked by Manlius Faustus, the local magistrate (or aedile) to assist when a group of slaves seek sanctuary at the Temple of Ceres. Their master and mistress have been killed, and according to Roman law of the time, slaves must seek to protect their owners; failure to do so renders them liable to execution. And any slave testimony is only valid if extracted under torture, so sanctuary may be their best bet to stay alive. But if they are guilty in any way, the slaves must face the full force of the law. Can Flavia Albia find out what happened at the Aviola household?

This is a great read; a great novel of Rome, and a great mystery novel; there is a strong thread of wit and humour running through the story, as well of course as the horrible circumstances of murder and the threat to the slaves of horrible execution, just because they are slaves. Flavia Albia and her family are great characters, and I look forward very much to reading more of the author’s works. I have a lot to catch up on, and I look forward to it.
on 21 March 2017
I read all of Linset Davis'books but mest be honest this was hard going. Condition of book as a purchase was very good.
VINE VOICEon 15 July 2017
I love Lyndsey Davis Falco books and have read the first in this series. Flavia Albia is in top form in this offering with her usual acerbic wit. It gives a perfect flavour of Rome during Roman times. The setting is well written as one would expect from Davies, as are the characters. The mystery aspect is good although I felt it was more if a slow burn than fast paced action. A little too slow at times for my taste, hence the four star rating. However, this does not take away from the overall book which I thoroughly enjoyed.
on 26 April 2014
This is the second in the Flavia Alba series and I must admit I enjoyed it better than the first The Ides of April. After reading all of the Falco novels, it is I suppose difficult to acclimatise oneself to a new character and also a change of gender from male to female. Although Flavia was mentioned from time to time in the Falco novels it was not with enough regularity for the reader to become familiar with the character and personality of Falco's daughter.

The character feels more rounded in this book than the first one, or perhaps she is just becoming more familiar to the reader. However it does take the reader a while to adjust to the character of a young woman rather than the roguish and outspoken personality of her father Falco. Flavia has obviously been paying attention to her father, an investigator and informant to no less a person than the Roman Emperor himself. Carrying on the tradition of investigator is not an easy task on the dangerous streets of Rome, and Flavia Alba it should be added, does not have the wholehearted consent of her mother, Helena, who is fearful of the danger she is putting herself in. Helena is well aware of the scrapes that her husband has got himself into over the years and neither parent is over the moon at the prospect of their daughter becoming embroiled in situations of a similar nature.

Lindsey Davis could probably write these books in her sleep. That does not mean that the attention to detail is no longer there. Quite the contrary. The author is the consumate professional and quickly and efficiently sets the scene for the reader. So much so that they quickly feel part of the atmosphere that must have been Ancient Rome.

For readers of the Falco novels (I think there are twenty at the last count) this new series is a natural progression and I think will be a welcome one. For those new to author Lindsey Davis the books are certainly worth delving into, particularly if you like Steven Saylor and David Wishart.