Customer reviews

on 4 May 2011
WELCOMED THIS BOOK AND VERY INFORMATIVE FOR WOMEN THAT HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH THIS SERIOUS CONDITION THAT IS NOT WIDELY RECOGNISED .. IT ALSO HELPS WITH THE QUESTIONS WOMEN MAY NEED TO ASK GPS AND SPECIALISTS IF THEY ARE UNSURE ABOUT ANY QUESTIONS THEY MAY HAVE REGARDING THE CONDITION
on 16 July 2015
As someone who was diagnosed with the condition 3 years ago, I was keen to find out more about it so thought this would be a perfect introduction. I didn't want to be blinded by all the science and technical blurb and was hoping the 'Dummies' guide would provide me with the information I was after in the right format. And it does... to a point.

This is definitely aimed at an American audience, which is fine if you can remember to bear that in mind as you're reading it, as it does make mention of certain procedures and terminology that either aren't available in the UK or are called something different here. As with other books in the 'Dummies' series, this is broken down into different sections so you can choose to read it from cover to cover, or skip to the bits that are of interest/relevant to you. This is very helpful, as it means you can easily find the parts that are specific to your concerns.

However, the one thing that really stood out for me is the emphasis placed on infertility and how much more difficult it will be for women with the condition to conceive. The problem is, it takes a very generalised view on the subject and no where does it seem to mention the fact that fertility issues and infertility are very much on a case-by-case basis. I found myself getting increasingly annoyed about this, as the more it's mentioned the more you get the feeling that what you're essentially being told is if you have the condition, having a baby will be utterly impossible. And that's simply NOT TRUE. And contrary to what this book would have you believe, not every woman with the condition has to go down the route of infertility treatment or IVF. But this book would definitely have you believing that that's the case in 99.9% of cases.

For a very basic overview of the condition this is okay, but it's not going to put anyone's mind at rest if they're going through the early stages of diagnosis. If anything, all it'll do is scare them witless! Endometriosis is a horrible, life-long disease, but it doesn't mean your life is over if you're diagnosed with it. And it certainly doesn't mean you should give up hope of ever having a family. I would use this book as a reference tool at most, but would recommend writing a list of all the things you want to know and talking them through with your consultant instead. You'll likely get a much better answer and hopefully one that won't leave you feeling completely despairing.
on 11 September 2011
I was diagnosed with endometriosis early this year, and was given no information as to what happens next. After some research, I decided to buy this book, and I'm glad I did. I have nearly finished it and have found it easy to read & understand. I would definatley recommend it!
on 13 November 2013
this book is a good and very informative book. although i am from they UK i found that it had lot of interesting facts about endometriosis. some parts did not mmean anything to me (talkng about insurance etc.) because the book is aimed at Americans.
i feel it is a good read if you or someone you know has been diagnosed with endometriosis. i wish i knew about this book when i was diagnosed. i would also recomend it to people like me that have had the disease for many years and just want to understand it more.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2013
I found this book to be a great and easy to read guide to endometriosis. I was looking to read about this illness and the ramifications of living with it after a suspected diagnosis from my gp. Its very easy to understand and everything is comprehensively explained. It remains understanding to sufferers throughout which you don't always find in medical or health related texts. Highly recommend if you're a suffer, suspected sufferer or a loved one of an individual with the disease.
on 22 June 2013
It's not the most recent publication and it is written in the US for the US, but it's a great overview guide that provides plenty of technical and medical information but keeps it separated from the main text, so if you're not too technically minded you can still get a good overview.

I've done quite a lot of reading on the subject, but I still learned plenty of new things from this book.
on 1 November 2012
I liked the style of this book. The information was clearly explained and well set out. Following my own laporoscopy and several visits to GPs over the years this book still managed to answer many questions for me including causes of endo, treatments and general advice on where to gi next. This is the first book I have read on the subject and after nearly 20 years of suffering this disease it gave me hope. It had useful chapters for partners/family and friends and also a while chapter on endo in teens. I wish I could have read that when I was a teenager. I would have felt relieved to have an understanding of the disease and given me hope and strength much earlier that I wasn't alone. I believe anyone who has endo or anyone who knows someone who has endo will get something useful from this book.
on 12 November 2013
bought this for my partner and family to read so they can understand my condition as it is so complex and not very easy to explain . it helped them so much and made my life easier as they understand how it affects me.
on 16 June 2014
Book was in very good condition, but definitely aimed at women in the US. Information provided helped, but some of it was in US terminology which I needed to google to make any sense
on 21 August 2013
Ive just been diagnosed with Endometriosis, this book is very useful and full of information on the condition. Would recommend for anyone with the condition.