on 27 July 2017
Did Jeffery Deaver even write this? I'm 25 pages in and already there's a glaring error where Rhyme states something about the new case that he couldn't possibly have known yet ("You know who the perp is, you know where he lives" - no one said any of that) and another where the author seems to forget that throughout the first book Rhyme was trying to organise his own suicide ("what had stopped [Rhyme] from finding some Jack Kevorkian to help with his assisted suicide" - except he HAD found someone). This reads like poorly researched fan fiction so far. I'm not the kind of person who looks out for mistakes so the fact I've already noticed two doesn't give me much hope for the rest of the book.
on 9 June 2017
Normally with a series like this I find the following books just don't have the same impact as the first. This is not the case with Jeffery Deaver's "The empty chair" I was enthralled from begging to end with a fast paced all action story line which managed to surprise and delight. The characters come to life from Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs who we already know from the earlier books to the new cast including the countryside around the Paquenoke river and how Lincoln and Amelia cope with being in unfamiliar territory.
The twists and turns kept me guessing, who did what and why. Brilliant
on 25 June 2011
The Empty Chair is the 3rd book in the Lincoln Rhyme series. (after The Bone Collector and The Coffin Dancer)

I really enjoyed the first two books and looked forward to reading this one. However I didn't really enjoy it at all. The setting is new, Rhyme and Sachs are in North Carolina for an operation on Rhymes spine. Almost as soon as they arrive, they are called upon to help the local police in trying to find a young man who has kidnapped 2 women.

Both Rhyme and Sachs are like the proverbial fishes out of water, which I guess is the point, but they both didn't seem to be much like the characters I have come to know. Sachs in particular acts in an unbelievably out of character way.

The story dragged quite a lot, the characters seem to spend most of the book trekking through the North Carolina terrain. There are one or two interesting characters, and the book has it's usual amount of twists and turns towards the end, but even those are starting to become predictable. I didn't spot the twists in his other 2 books, but I'm starting to get used to his style now and looking for clues along the way.

I'm glad I read it, if only to be able to progress onto his next book, The Stone Monkey, which I really hope is an improvement. All that said, it is a decent enough read, and maybe he set the standard so high with the first 2 books and in my view hasn't reached that standard again with this one.
on 31 May 2017
You need your wits about you to read this, so many twists and turns, brilliant writing and believable story line
on 22 July 2017
Story was very entertaining but found all the lists a bit bordering. Couldn't wait to keep reading to the end
on 24 January 2016
This is one of the first books I have read of this author.
I really enjoyed it the plot twisted and turned and kept the reader guessing
on 1 June 2017
Poor in comparison with his other books
on 5 June 2017
As always, nail biting and a twist.
on 19 June 2017