Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 February 2005
Hype, hype, hype, and errr a bit more hype. "Grown up" music these days (by that, I mean indie/alt rock etc) is turning into just as much of a publicity contest as the Pop-Idol stuff. Another year, another clutch of 5-star debut albums from NME - "the best debut album since... oooh, last week!" You can rely on them almost as much as you can rely on the second album being slagged off, no-one buying it, and the band drifting into irrelevance. But people, I am here to tell you that Kaiser Chiefs are genuinely something different.
As a whole, the sound is so old, it's new! It's also a real mixed bag - there are elements of The Jam, XTC, glam rock, 80s electronic music, the list goes on. The first three tracks alone are probably worth the price of the album, and the sheer energy from a loud play of I Predict A Riot is probably enough to power your house for a few weeks!
But I have request to make: PLEASE don't let this album get hyped up too much, go out, buy it, enjoy it, but don't push them up only to let them crash again - it happens far too much these days...
on 1 February 2006
My 15 year old daughter introduced me to this album. She has good taste, but I am 53 and very little music has impressed me in recent years. She says this is the KC's first album. To be honest I'm amazed. She plays it a lot, and I listen to it, a lot! It's excellent, though I wouldn't have a clue as to what style of music it is, no doubt she will enlighten me. I detect some quality 60's, elements of 70's and some Punk (which I hated at the time). If this is their first album, what will follow? So, why only 4 stars? Age and experience! But, I'm still impressed.
on 22 May 2005
Employment is a truly addictive album, you'll find yourself singing along in no time. It seems like the Kasier Chiefs might have lost their rhyming dictionary when they wrote this album, so look out for some comedy rhyming (since when did 'beaten' and 'police men' rhyme?? but they pull it off!)
This is very upbeat, the kind of music to pull you out of a bad mood and make you want to dance like a mad thing. There are occasional air guitar moments, head banging moments and dozens of sing out loud opportunities. A real must if you're looking for something a little different to spice up your record collection and keep you smiling for months to come.
on 2 April 2005
After 2004's proliferation of rather impressive British bands, The Kaiser Chiefs seem like they're not going to let 2005 be a musical disappointment. This debut album is really enjoyable and catchy and won't let people who like 'I predict a Riot' and 'Oh My God' down. They're a top band who have a similar attitude to Blur and other mid-90's Brit pop acts, yet they fit perfectly with other new acts such as Bloc Party, with music magazines like NME constantly mentioning them in the same breath.
The album is, unsuprsingly, riotous, good fun and smart arsey (in a good way.) Suprisingly, however, some of the lyrics can be tender and sweet, particuarly in songs such as 'You Can Have It All' and 'Team Mate.' The stand out track of 'Employment' is 'I Predict A Riot' and people shouldn't expect all the songs to be as classic, which is one of the reasons why I'm only giving the album 4 stars. Another reason is that the album is a grower, and took a few listens for me to really get into it and might not grab everyone immediately. Overall, The Kaiser Chiefs should be in every indie kid's CD collection because all 12 tracks are good enough to be singles. They may not be as trendy and arty as Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand or many of the bands that were big last year but they're just as good and just as worthy of success.
A had visions of this album being a rip roaring 100mph stomper but there is actually a real mix of styles. You get the punk stompers (everyday I Love You Less and Less & I Predict A Riot)to the 60's melodic ( Modern Way) to the 70's glam ( Na Na Na Na Naa). It works really well like a musical box of chocs.
on 14 July 2005
Like quite a few people who've reviewed this album, I found the hype around the Chiefs really invigorating - they were bold, fun and they made perfect pop (having at that point released "I Predict A Riot" and "Oh My God"). For me it was even more exciting, as I'd followed them from their initial release of "OMG" and there's always that extra frisson of excitement when you feel like you're ahead of the game in liking a band. So I bought the album and was instantly disappointed. Aside from the singles and "Born To Be A Dancer" I found them pretty dull, too similar to Blur and lyrically defunct.
Time has rehabilitated the album to me though, not least because I saw them live and they were absolutely electrifying and blew me away. Probably one of the best live bands I've seen, and infinitely more exciting than supposedly amazing live bands - Red Hot Chili Peppers, I'm looking at you - and after that I listened to the album again and reappraised it in the light that, far from corporate lackeys trying to steal my money by making average music the Chiefs were a genuine band who lived and breathed music.
While it does have its share of filler - "Team Mate", "What Did I Ever Give You?" - it's crammed with moments of pure pop perfection and - most important of all - shoutalong choruses. While referencing Blur and Madness, they've kept a style all their own and made some instant classics. "I Predict A Riot" will be played for years, "Caroline, Yes" takes a sinister concept and wraps it round a cheery summer melody and "Oh My God" is like getting smacked in the head by a solid gold brick of pop joy, as powerful now as it was to anyone who heard it when the band were just starting out.
A brilliant album - they're not pretending to be intellectual, or orginal like certain other pompous indie bands of the moment, they're just making unashamedly fun pop music.
on 20 August 2005
I have agonised over the rating for this album, wanting to give it a four (though certainly not a five), wanting to call it a great album ever since i saw them in April,but sadly it aint a great album, though a good one.
I suppose i was one of their first fans,being a fan from the first time "i predict a riot" stunned me into thinking here is a truly great sensation about to hit the charts.The fact is the singles "everyday i love you less and less", "oh my god" and "i predict a riot" are all excellent sing-a-longs.
But apart from these and the wonderful "you can have it all", it's not too spectacular.I'm not one of these people who get carried away by all the hype like the other reviewers because i do have 300+ albums and therefore high standards.
"Saturday nite" has a great riff that i've heard before but not much more than that, "na na na na na" is a bit lazy,like a Blur b side, though enjoyable live."Time honoured tradition" aint much cop either with it's "uh uh uh uh..." chorus.
So it's enjoyable stuff for the most part but by no means worth too much hype i feel. But the most important thing is the answer to the question "should you buy it?" - of course - it's worth it for the 3 singles alone but don't go expecting a modern classic.
on 8 August 2006
This really is down and dirty, grab em by the balls and don't let go, rock and roll. This is a fantastic album and the boys are getting their rightful rewards for producing it. If you haven't heard it yet, you're wrong, well partly - you must certainly have heard clips as so many are used on TV for trailers or articles within programmes. (Not to mention the various karaoke versions Phil Jupitus delivered on 'Never mind the buzzcocks'.) These Leeds boys really know how to rock and that songs have to start with terrific music, not scrag end stuff that can be fixed in the mix! Kaiser Chief will be massive. Get in now, so in years to come you can say you were there from the beginning.
on 3 August 2006
This is a great album! If you enjoy British Rock youll love this one! "I predict a Riot" is their best song. 5 Stars definately go to this one!!!!!
on 4 May 2014
Although I have always enjoyed listening to Kaiser Chiefs music, I never went out and bought a CD (I don't do downloads by the way). I bought this after watching The Voice - and it made me realise that I should have bought this one a very long time ago! It's absolutely brilliant!