on 11 May 2012
One of the very best and most enlightening books I've ever read about subcultural music communities. Wendy Fonarow makes it easy to recognize and nod when she's unveiling all the tricks, the unwritten rules and rituals that keeps the indie community together. As a musician, fanzine maker and later author of punk litterature, I recognize a lot of the same ethos and traditions from my own upbringing in a punk community, and in that perspective, this is not only the best analyses I've read of indie music, but of punk as well!
Trygve Mathiesen (author of 'Banned in the UK' and 'Sid's Norwegian Romance'; Sex Pistols exiled to Norway 1977)Sex Pistols Exiled to Oslo 1977 - Banned in the UK - including exclusiv new Pistols photosSid's Norwegian romance - Sex Pistols Exiled to Trondheim 1977
on 13 August 2008
The numerous folded corners marking points of interest mean my copy of this book now sits on my shelf almost twice as thick as when I first bought it!
This is an extremely well researched book packed with funny, fascinating and provocative insights into the British Indies music scene.
Essential reading for anyone who thinks music says something about their lives.
on 2 October 2008
I have to admit I know the author so am biased! However if you are interested in studying your fellow man, enjoy music, go to gigs, wonder why others do, why they jump around when you stand still, then this is the book for you. After years of research, and extensive gig going, Dr Fonarow has produced a fascinating book. It's also a good read! A classic!
on 11 September 2013
Bought as a gift for my nephew, this is now his bible, he rates it very highly, I don't think its my kind of thing though.