Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 August 2005
There are very few books one can recommend to friends, family, students and, even, colleagues. Especially if you expect them to thank you for it. This is one that I can. Claudia Hammond - an established science reporter on BBC Radio 4 - has taken some of the most complex bits of science - the neuroscience of emotion - and, with her usual "to the point" style, got to the point. She covers the emotions that people want to know about - love, fear, hate, jealousy, hope and more. Each section has its scientific themes - with leading edge psychological and neurological experts consulted - and illustrative personal histories, many of which are vivid, and often humorous, examples from Claudia Hammond's own life. I'd recommend it to students as an overview of what we think we know about the brain and emotion, to colleagues as a book on "how to write about science", and to friends and family as a neat little treat. A book you can read quickly and get the main points, or take slowly a chapter at a go. And reflect on your own emotions. Its not self help, but it can't fail to help.
VINE VOICEon 9 November 2006
Emotional Rollercoaster is almost the perfect popular science book. It gives you a broad overview of the subject and lots of pertinent anecdotes mixed in with the science. The emotions focused on in the book are: joy; sadness; disgust; anger; fear; jealousy; love; guilt and hope.

I bought this book in order to help me write an essay, and whilst it isn't incredibly academic it does name some of the relevant psychologists, should you wish to use it as a starting point.

Some of the highlights for me were; learning about a laughter epidemic, tears and why we cry, a psychologist who needs to find identical fake dog turds for his research (!), the ways in which our body symmetry can affect how jealous we are and some great stuff on survivor guilt.

I loved this book. Highly recommended.
on 28 February 2011
The science of emotions is a tremendously important one, and the research on 'basic' and 'higher cognitive' emotions has proved immensely revealing.

Ms Hammond writes an excellent popular science book here, in which she describes a highly interesting collection of experiments on behaviour, and the reflections on them which help in revealing the `purpose' of joy, sadness, disgust, anger, fear, jealousy, love, guilt, and hope.

As good an account as you will find on this pivotal area of human discovery.
on 10 August 2013
One of my top five books.
The subject of emotions is not exactly one that enthrals me, but I bought this on the strength of some of Claudia Hammond's previous writing, and boy am I glad I did!
I cannot properly explain why this book is so good, so this review is admittedly fairly pointless, but I felt I should let people know that if you enjoy a well written book from an enthusiastic author, regardless of subject, then this is one to pick up. You'll learn a thing or two about the psychology of emotions but most importantly you'll have fun. And isn't that why we read?
on 17 November 2011
One of my favourite books, was delivered on time and as described- brand new.
Would definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested in psychology remotely.
on 24 January 2015
REALLY GOOD VALUE AND GREAT WAY OF RECYCLING BOOKS INEXPENSIVELY
on 6 January 2015
A good read, especially the chapter on 'hope'.
on 8 March 2016