Emotional Eating: What You Need to Know Before Starting Your Next Diet: What You Need to Know Before Starting Your Diet Paperback – 13 Feb 1998
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"This pioneering book gives individuals the tools they need to take charge of their emotions . . . and effectively manage their weight. Highly recommAnded." (John P. Foreyt, Ph.D., director, Nutrition Research Clinic, Baylor College of Medicine)
"Anyone who has struggled with eating and weight will feel empowered by Abramson′s emphasis on self–determination. . . . Emotional Eating is a very important addition to the bibliotherapy library." (BrAnda L. Wolfe, Ph.D., director, Research/Client Relations, Jenny Craig, Inc.)
From the Back Cover
Read this book before you start your next diet
There is nothing emotionally neutral about eating. Food and feelings are so powerfully intertwined that depression, anxiety, boredom, and loneliness can transform a harmless nosh into an out–of–control binge.
How can you lose weight when your emotions keep getting in the way?
Dr. Edward Abramson has developed a proven plan that can help almost anyone get off the endless roller coaster of emotional eating and learn how to take control. Based on solid scientific studies and clinical research, Emotional Eating reveals how to end destructive eating habits by learning to identify individual emotional triggers and develop healthy alternative behaviors. Written for anyone who has tried to diet and failed, the book is filled with practical techniques and self–scoring assessment tests that will help to end the destructive cycle of emotional eating.
“This pioneering book gives individuals the tools they need to take charge of their emotions…and effectively manage their weight. Highly recommended.”
―JOHN P. FOREYT, PHD, director, Nutrition Research Clinic, Baylor College of Medicine
“Anyone who has struggled with eating and weight will feel empowered by Abramson’s emphasis on self–determination…. Emotional Eating is a very important addition to the bibliotherapy library.”
―BRENDA L. WOLFE, PHD, director, Research/Client Relations, Jenny Craig, Inc.
Emotional Eating was a Book of the Month Club Featured Alternate Selection and has been highlighted in The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, Reader’s Digest, Smithsonian, and The Washington Post.See all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
I knew something was going on in my head that I just couldn't identify. I was using food in the same way as others use cigarettes, alcohol or drugs to celebrate, to comiserate, because I was lonely, because I was tired, when I was anxious..the list goes on.
Through this book I've recognised these patterns but more importantly sorted out the REAL ISSUES rather than just applied a "food" patch to take away the sensation.
I'm not huge - perhaps a stone overweight but my focus on food/weight/diets had been the centre of my life for years. This book has given me hope that I can put it back where it belongs - a natural function like sleeping.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Food & Drink > Diets & Healthy Eating > Low Fat
- Books > Food & Drink > Diets & Healthy Eating > Weight Control
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Families & Parents > Raising Children > Social & Personal Issues > Eating Disorders
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues > Illnesses & Conditions > Eating Disorders
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Eating Disorders
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Emotions
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine