Customer reviews

on 21 June 2017
Granddaughter loves this book.
on 7 November 2017
Goid
on 2 September 2009
My 3 year old and I love this story about a little girl called Emily Brown, her beloved toy rabbit Stanley, and a very annoying 'Thing' who refuses to be quiet so they can get some sleep. First he's at the window, then in the kitchen, the cellar AND under the bed. Emily is very cross. But he's not a scary Thing at all, in fact he's a little bit frightened himself, as Emily & Stanly eventually find out.

The book is a pleasure to read aloud. Adults will smile at no-nonsense Emily and the gentle message that there's really no need to be scared of 'Things' when you're in bed, and little ones love waiting to see where Thing will turn up next, what he wants ('Oh Emily Brown! I've lost my cuddly!) and how Emily & Stanley help him. My son particluarly likes their visit to the Whiny Witches Cavern at the bottom of the cellar stairs to obtain Thing's special green medicine that he simply can't do without.

Highly recommended, as is the first book 'That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown' (though we like this one best!)
on 19 January 2010
I bought this book for my little girl as she loved the first one, although I must say I prefer that one, this one entertains her just as much and she asks for it all the time. She is only just 2 and has started quoting it and predicts what is coming next. A real find and a book she will love for some time to come.
on 19 December 2011
Love the stories, love the illustration. Emily Brown has been a favourite of ours to read since our daughter was 6 months old! We first got hooked on the Elephant Emergency because I loved Emily Brown's independence in the face of molly-coddling by her elephant's mother (My wife, Julie, now gets called "Matillda's Mummy" if she is being over anxious or protective). The Thing is our second favourite but I suspect you'll pick yours by the age of your child and her latest "No"; for example, when our daughter starts saying "I'm bored" then Cheer up your teddybear might become a new favourite.
One more thing: Jules told me I couldn't buy them for our nephew because they were girl's books. She got a lecture entitled "so why can't a boy have a female role model?" after which she had to concede!
on 15 January 2016
In this story Emily Brown and her rabbit Stanley are just drifting off to sleep when a variety of peculiar noises disturbs them. Each time it is a big grey Thing, who sends them off on a series of quests (to find medicine, a snack and his cuddly-wuddly) to help him go to sleep. Each quest turns into an adventure in true Emily Brown style. It's a charming story, loved by my 5 year old but not a patch on That Rabbit Belongs To Emily Brown in my view, hence the 4* rating.
on 8 October 2010
I actually prefer this to the first Emily Brown book as I always ran out of voices for the naughty Queen's various staff. This is just as lovely, though, and the idea of a good monster (a "Nice Thing") nervous of bed time until Emily Brown tells him to think of Nice Things is so sweet to send my two-and-a-half year old off to bed with.
on 14 November 2011
I love the Emily Brown books, they are such good fun! both my children really enjoy the stories and the words are simple enough for my eldest to read this book herself. Emily Brown has a Thing which keeps asking her to find things and keeps her awake, it all turns out well in the end. Great Fun, wonderful drawings and story.
on 27 August 2013
Given that small children can be scared of the dark, and 'things', I was a bit hesitant buying this. Worries were unfounded, as it is handled so beautifully, that it really is just a story, about a thing called: 'Thing'.
on 23 January 2009
This book is wonderful. The previous Emily Brown and Stanley adventure (That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown) rightfully won awards for the best picture book of the year and I think this is even better.