Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 September 2008
I had this book recomended to me by a person I respect quite a lot and thefore I thought I would give it a go. Firstly I am a lapsed catholic but I do still believe in a higher being whether that is God/Jesus/Holy trinity, I don't know, I just know there is something out there I also believe in an afterlife, and am interested in NDE etc. I have also lost my mum and witnessed her dying so, I have quite an open mind to these things

When I started reading the book I found it quite enjoyable and found it easy to read. I could idenify how she went after first dying to visit her family and the first parts of the light and tunnel seemed ok but I started to feel (I cant explain why) quite uneasy with her description of heaven, the looms with people embroiding and started to feel even more uneasy with the council of men at the kidney shaped table and her arguing with Jesus who told her to return to earth as she died prematurely. I still read with interest however, I just didnt feel comfortable with the whole experience she was descibing although elements of it did ring true. I did feel at times that I was having a religion lesson pushed on me somewhat.

I felt a lot of what she said was a little contradictatory. Firstly she says there is no hell but when she returns to her body, these demons come to attack her in her hospital bed and she is told they are angry at her for returning to earth and that they were Satan's messengers trying to destroy her.

She is also told in the begining she has died prematurely and cannot stay
she has to go back to earth as she has to play out God's plan for her, and yet she sulks and argues with Jesus about going back, which I just feel is strange based on what she tells us about us all having a plan and choosing our destination in life from the spirit world before we were born. Surely if you are told this by a higher being you wouldnt argue you would just do as you were told??

I also felt a little uncomfortable after I visited her website at the back of the book and she is looking for donations to do a film!!

The positive I did take from the book one that I should have known anyway but in todays hectic lifestyles and selfish society, one thing that is lacking is that we have forgotten that we should be kind to one another and be positive and not negative, to be good to ourselves, and that to love others you need to truely like yourself. I also appreciate what Ms Eadie says about when we are judgemental of other people that it is normally (in most cases) something that deep down we are either scared of or guilty of behaving in that way ourselves. We are also here for such a short time we shold make the most of it: despite this message once, Ms Eadie came back and although it is glossed over and hurried a little it appears she became depressed and distant from her family, which is again a contradiction to what she learnt in heaven (In my opinion) about being un selfish and kind to others. In the end she did do something very good, by adopting a baby and taking her into her family: despite her saying Jesus had wiped her memory of what God's plan was for her, I felt she was hinting that this is the plan God had for her all along

Finally, I would read this book with a very open mind, and take from it what you feel is positive and useful for you. I personally would not read any more of her books but have at least taken some positive messages from this
on 17 July 2003
What a fantastic, encouraging, comforting and exciting book which any open minded Christian will love. It will probably change your outlook on many things which are hard to comprehend (illness, premature death, etc). Many fundemental questions are satisfactorily answered such as 'why do so many religions exist?'
If you only ever read one book, this should be it!
on 14 December 2004
This book highlights the transformation that occurs at true NDEs, and the psychic phenomena that often accompanies experiencers is shown clearly here. I think this book together with Psychic Gifts Tools to Connect by Dr. Snow (another NDE experiencer) make some of the best reading on transformation from NDEs that I have ever read. Both also highlight how the choices we make here in our lives ripple on through to our death experience, and how we can connect to our higher selves and each other, and fine tune powerful spiritual abilities, right here on earth. We all have much to gain from reading these accounts.
on 4 February 1999
This book can be read in two to three hours, but that doesn't lessen its importance and the all-embracing, truly wondrous messages that it carries. It is direct, yet it is far-reaching. The author takes us on a tour of the heavens, via the true reasons for our being, what is good and what is bad, etc etc. No review can do it justice, especially this one! <g>. Don't buy it if you are happy being miserable. Buy it, read it, keep it for life!
on 4 May 2001
This book is excellent I have read it numerous times and each time I find it hard to put down. Thanks Betty for providing some hope to mankind.
on 28 March 2005
I have recently read this book after finding it accidently!! and it happened to be just after losing my daughter of 17 months, it has helped me to find comfort during this difficult time. This book is beautifully written and I could not put it down, an amazing story with a fantastic positive message, all I can say...just read it and see!!
on 6 February 2013
Born Again Christians should research this book before buying, as it contains many contradictory teachings from true Christianity. She is a Mormon after all. 'Do not waste your money', is my advice. I could only read the first 46 pages before I twigged that something was drastically wrong and I had to stop reading, rather than be assaulted by it's weird teachings. Buyer beware. I want my money back. The fact that it topped the best seller list etc. does not make it right.
on 14 December 2004
Ihave read this book mant times, and still love it, it is a gift to anyone i know, who needs some upliftment,and know that their is light at the end of the tunnel.
on 26 November 2004
This book Embraced by the Light by Betty Eadie is one of the books to be on any NDE experiencer's bookshelf, even if it is simply for the early historical basis and the "warm fuzzy" feeling that her eloquent writing invokes in the reader. The Light of love and the Light of God felt and seen at the NDEs is something I myself experienced eight years ago. This book, Dannion Brinkley's book Saved by the Light, and Tiffany Snow's book Psychic Gifts Tools to Connect and any of Raymond Moody's books, are a welcome and necessary part of any curious visitor to the near-death experience, and I would also suggest reading all the information complied by IANDS.
on 13 July 2008
My son Alexander 13 months picked up this book at a kiosk at Kennedy Airport while I was browsing the store, it was at his buggy level. Upon seeing what he had in his hand I decided to buy the book. He died of a sudden cot death less than two months later. I had just read this book and cannot describe what comfort it gave my husband and myself. It is now 13 years later, I have never forgotten the wonderful message in this book, particularly the "people in brown coats" . Learn to notice them in your life and it will never be the same again !