on 3 September 2007
As one of the millions of admirers of the incomparable Mr E A Presley I was surprised to have only just found this fine biography by Pamela Keogh. Ms Keogh has brought a freshness and vitality to this familiar story which is as welcome as it is surprising.

I thought I knew all there was to know about the great man but this book approaches the familiar legend with a perspective on his talent and his life which is quite refreshing in its refusal to pander to the current fashion for analysing every drop of sweat on our idol's brow!

Dare I say it, but Ms Keogh writes a lot of plain good old common sense about this much loved and much missed entertainer who, for so many of us became like family. So much of what has been written in other books (with the exception of the Peter Guralnick biography of course) has been over-dramatised, over-glossed and over-the-top.

In recognising that it is the overwhelming musical genius and unequalled attractiveness of this rare human being called Elvis (the pictures are just wonderful) Mr Keogh completely eliminates the need to analyse anything else when trying to understand his enduring popularity! Hoorah a feel good book on our beloved Elvis for a change!!
on 17 December 2010
I bought this book having read the other review and I wasn't disappointed - thank you! This is a lovley looking hard back book. The pictures are plentiful and well chosen, they include many of the familiar ones that most Elvis fans would know but also some that may be new. The text is well set out and there are double page spreads which concentrate on particular topics throughout the book. I was impressed with the author's ability to capture the man in relatively few pages. She gives us Elvis' story but more significantly, she conveys the essence of the man in a way that no other author I have read has. Obviously, the book is not as detailed as Peter Guralnick's two volumes but by concentrating on Elvis' style, charisma, beauty and talent she speaks to all his fans. I loved Pamela Clarke Keogh's writting style and her fascination with, and love of the man, comes through loud and clear.
on 18 January 2013
I bought this for my mum as a gift, I expected it to take longer than it did and was very happy with the item and the delivery time.
I haven't listened to it yet, but so far so good