on 10 September 2017
I have read half this book in 2 days as the first half is about components and a few of the fundimental equations needed to understand what is going on. I have to say this book is excellent as a refresher for me as I did Electronics at HNC level in the late sixties and I was amazed at how much of the subject I had remembered but not used for nearly fifty years. I would say that its not exactly for dummies but for people who are resonably intelligent and that understand basic algebra but it is well presented and explained and I absolutly would recommend it to anyone who wants a great hobby.
on 19 December 2017
Nice simple English. Explains the basic concepts very well
on 26 December 2017
Some good basic knowledge tutoring inside the book
on 17 January 2018
all good
on 1 March 2017
Great book
on 7 April 2017
As expected. For Dummies....
on 3 January 2012
After a working life which had occasionally involved me with electronics at a level which hadn't demanded too deep an understanding of the design principles, I was looking for a book that would let me now get involved as a hobbyist, allowing me to modify existing published circuits, or hopefully, to even design my own. I've usually found the Dummies series of books to be very well written and comprehensive enough, and this one hasn't disappointed me in any way.

It's an excellent introduction to the subject, or as an aid to clarifying the details of what you already (nearly) know. Its style doesn't demand too much, unlike many other books on electronics that I have looked at, and one or two that I actually own. It's easy to read, and the explanations of what can be quite complex principles are as clear as they can be, I think. The book doesn't skim over too much of the detail, and when it needs to it warns that further detail exists, but is beyond its scope.

Introductions to the principles for making design calculations may seem intrusive to some readers, but is necessary to know about if you want to design even the simplest circuits and have them work after you build them. If you just want to understand the principles, detailed understanding of the equations can be skipped unless/until you need them. Good value. Recommended.
0Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 March 2006
What you get out of this book will largely depend on your experience. I have been asked for my new job to do a course in Electrical/Electronic Engineering.
I have no prior knowledge and joined the course a month late. I'm now doing ok in the course and it's with no small ammount of thanks to this book.
It's a brilliant into to Electronics, but Electronics only. Depending on your course you will need a separate book for Electrical principles which isn't really covered here. I'd recommend a John Bird book for that.
This book is a really easy intoduction to the subject and at this price would definately suggest you look at it if you want a pretty thorough introduction based at beginner level.
0Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 December 2015
good reference
on 27 May 2016
Very easy to understand and has got me interested in something again