on 28 December 2014
Honestly I had expected more mathematical jargon here than I had thought presently loaded in my mind. This has been a very very comfortable read for me and I think anyone with a very basic understanding of plane geometry will find it too.

I liked how H.A. Lorentz references to, yet ever so slightly, mathematical concepts in a simple manner, such as when contrasting the need to divert from Euclidean geometry (the very basic "straight lines as straight and a triangle has 180deg" geometry :) ) which gave me a very valuable pit stop where from I could look up definitions quickly as I moved on.

What I may have disliked is that this was indeed a Concise Statement; I was having so much fun reading it! But that would defeat the purpose of its brevity wouldn't it?

Recommendations? If you have had the questions: Einstein who? Relativity what? This is an excellent starting point to have an insight into General Relativity, and a springboard to more accurate and well guided questions, especially knowing that the author had an integral role in these works of Albert Einstein.
on 12 January 2014
I am learning about physics and the universe in my retirement and this subject is at the heart of it.
on 6 June 2013
I was disappointed in this.
It has been written at too low a level if you know anything on the topic already.
I guess I'm being a bit unfair as it is just basically a newspaper article tarted up a bit.
I was expecting a fuller explanation of the basis behind it - that for theories to be valid they must apply in all frames of reference - and for Lorentz to explain his correcting factor that Einstein used and the far-reaching implications.
Feynman's "The Character of Physical Law", while a much harder read, is a much better book in my opinion.
Still, this is short, it is free and it is of some interest.
on 11 May 2016
Very clear well written explanation. Obviously, for anyone, nomatter who we are, there is still room for conjecture and a huge amount of thought. However a lovely book and very well written, albeit a little antiquated.
on 20 February 2013
Very interesting if only as a historical document to show the impact of Einstein's theory upon his contemporaries. All the more compelling coming from one such as Lorentz.
on 24 February 2015
The book arrived in good time but has A LOT of typos; it really is unbelievable. I checked it against an online version and it is very different.
on 26 October 2014
A pretty good retelling of the lecture / discussion of the famous theories. All a bit 'dry' but worth a bit of effort
on 20 July 2016
Says what it does on the cover - not for anyone with no background knowledge, but an excellent read on the subjecct
on 7 March 2015
This is interesting but a little too concise and doesn't go into too much depth for the serious reader
on 14 January 2015
Unbelievably informative, a must read and a well written piece of work that can not be put down . .