Customer reviews

Egypt (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside)
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 12 December 2013
This is the third book in the collection we have bought for our 6 year old son. The others were ' Your Body ' and ' How things work' . He loved those two so when he was appearing as an Egyptian in his school play and wanted to know more about Egypt , I knew this would be a perfect book to do the job. The books are quite sturdy and the topics in this book are as follows..
Market Day
The mighty Nile
At the temple
How the rich live
Great pyramids
Royal burial
Egypt in ruins
Who was who
Each topic is spread over two pages, except the last two in the list..one page.
The book has over 70 flaps to lift with facts and some funny quips underneath. Very informative book with lots of detailed illustrations throughout but easy enough for a young child to understand. Our favourite is the section on pyramids which greatly explains how these amazing structures were built , a job so big my son can't get his head around it. I am very pleased with the book and actually enjoy sitting reading through it and talking about it with my son, more than I enjoy playing video games with him, which says a lot..I love video games :)
These books are great and there are so many different subjects in the collection so you will be sure to find something your child is interested in. I hope to have built up quite a collection of these by the time he's older
9 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 2 September 2011
This is the third from the series that I have bought, the other two being the Pirate and the Castle book.

This book in particular has many hidden gems behind the flaps, and there are a lot of flaps to find.

My favorite part and that of my son are the three flaps that describe how a mummy is made. We both love the description of how the internal organs are placed into jars and the brain pulled out from the nose by a hook, then the body immersed in salt to dry it out! Yuck factor of 10.

It actually sounds worse than it is but care should be taken with smaller children.

It is a robust book, it is superbly illustrated and the information it gives is top notch. The book gives hours of pleasure just finding the information.

It's a childrens history encyclopaedia but with a difference. For this price it is a bargain.
12 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 18 May 2018
this is a fabulous book!my 9 year old sons not a big fan of books,but this book he likes and its so full of infomation!great for helping him withhis school work.he couldnt wait to take to school to show his teacher.
on 20 December 2017
Great book, my son is in year three and they are studying Egypt so it was nice to find a book that taught him more than he already had learnt at school. He has other flap books and he loves opening them time and time again, learning what’s underneath.
on 8 April 2013
All the rest was there, written so that an able eight-year old could read on his / her own, and the text was on the witty side, but where was the Sphinx? And missing even more were the MUMMIES! For a child, Mummies are a very important part of (Egyptian) life, but in this book they are very mysteriously missing. I looked and looked in vain. Have I missed them somewhere, or has the author that Usborne commissioned made a faux pas?
5 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 14 May 2018
A well illustrated book with interesting lift up flaps so you can view life inside some buildings and structures. It deserves a place in every child’s library shelf.
on 19 September 2014
Bought this book for my daughter who is studying Ancient Egypt in Year 3.
This book is making learning a lot of fun, the flaps are a great add-on and a touch of humour here and there is all that is needed to make this book very popular and one my daughter keeps going back to !
Overall very pleased with this purchase and would definitely recommend it to other parents.
on 28 March 2018
Fabulous. My grandson age 4 loves this book.
When he comes to visit he doesn't miss his ipad.
on 2 November 2012
While to get the complete story it is necessary to read the more academic books that are aimed at adults, sometimes more is needed than words on a page. Ancient Egypt was a very colourful civilisation, and books like this remind us of that fact. Sometimes it is good to look at the pictures and let the mind wander back in time, particulary with a well drawn and well researched book such as this.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 October 2013
If your child has got an intrest in ancient egypt then this is a great stater book and there's enough detail to keep them interested for quite a while. The lift up flaps make it interesting and engaging and the cut aways offer a different perspective. Perfect for 4 and up my 5.5 year old is totally enamoured
One person found this helpful