on 7 April 2011
I bought this brush rather than others according to the simple expedient of price. Thus when it arrived I was initially unsurprised, but a bit disappointed, that it was rather coarser in texture than I expected. However, having used it for a few weeks now, I have to say that I'm rather a convert. The firmer brush seems to soften my bristles rather more effectively than my previous, softer one, used to. I think I shall try and buy similarly coarse brushes in the future.

I'm slightly alarmed by the previous reviewer that mentioned his brush falling apart, but so far mine shows no sign of doing so!

[time passes]

Ah! There it is! The bit with the bristles in has indeed fallen out! After a little less than a year.

Still, you know, bit of glue and it's working fine again...
11 people found this helpful
on 14 October 2011
I last had a Badger Hair Shaving Brush in the Eighties. Since I lost that one I have used Hogs Hair ~ the only one I could find on the High Street Shelf. I thought it was fine until I read a Blog about wet shaving and decided that this was a must. This one is not that pricier than a Hogs Hair one but the difference is immense.

I now look forward to my shaving ~ I also bought a Double Edged Razor to replace the multiple ones we have had foisted onto us ~ for the first time in twenty years. The brush has a lot to do with that. Highly recommended.

And it came very quickly from the suppliers so I am really happy with recommending this item to everyone.

SINCE THE ABOVE WAS WRITTEN: 18 months have passed. Today I noticed that the handle has developed a crack in the plastic. Makes me a little disappointed. Cracks harbour germs - not happy about this. 28 February 2013.

SF120-Shaving Factory Double Edge Safety Razor and 10 Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades. Great Christmas Gift Set For Men.

Wilkinson Sword Blades Classic Double-Edged Razor +5 Blades
3 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 May 2013
I bought this because of the many good reviews here, but I wish I'd looked into it a bit more and bought something more expensive.

The brush itself is fine, if a little hard against your skin, but after getting it I realised that you need to buy a stand to allow it to dry off properly. I bought Kent Shaving Stand Large Mock Ivory, which goes together well. However, for a few pounds more all-in you can get a better quality brush complete with stand.

All-in-all, it's a perfectly adequate brush, but don't forget it's at the bottom of the scale quality-wise and that you need a stand, so not quite as good value as it seems.
on 17 December 2012
This brush was ok when it first arrived but slowly the brush itself worked its way out of the holder. The gathering cap holding all the bristles has after only two months worked it's way completely free. I have tried gluing this back but the wet conditions do not present an ideal environment for glues. I have now temporarily wrapped some black electrical tape around the "stub" and rammed it back into the plastic holder. Shouldn't have to do this. It wasn't expensive but then again it wasn't cheap either. I expected this to last longer than 2 months-at least 2 years were my expectations on this one. So Edwin Jagger 2/10 here im afraid.
4 people found this helpful
on 22 September 2013
That should read more than a little disappointed! I have been using this brush on a nearly daily basis for three months. the initial prickliness of a new brush is still there. Just this week the plastic cup into which the bristles sit has separated from the handle and needs glueing back in. I have gone back to using the' Wilkinson sword' shaving brush that I bought the new brush to replace, it is less bushy than it was twenty years ago when I bought it but it is srtill better than the 'Edwin Jagger' brush. I hate to be so negative.......but Got to tell it like it is.
on 21 February 2014
Worked well for 1 - 2 years, then started losing the occasional bristle. Now, bristle shedding is 6 - 10 bristles per shave, and quite an annoyance. Still, it has lasted longer than similar brushes from Wilkinson Sword, which go the same way much more quickly. Using cold instead of hot water to clean bristles helps a little with WS brushes. Temperature of rinsing water does not seem to influence rate of bristle loss with EJ brush, nor does drying brush upside down on a stand instead of shaking out excess water. Will not buy another.
on 26 April 2013
I bought this as a gift for someone new to wet shaving. This give the feeling of real badger hair with a relatively tightly packed knot for a low price. My thinking is that if a beginner using this brush, I think best combined with EJ shaving cream, enjoys his shaving experience he will likely buy a more expensive brush within 3-6 months. On the other hand, if the user does not enjoy it, see the benefits or gets bored they haven't spent to much.

This brush is MEDIUM, at least in handle size. Although it is not described as such you cannot fit it into an EJ travel tube which are designed for small EJ brushes.
on 15 September 2013
I bought this a month ago. First off, the brush is much smaller than the picture suggests.
The real problem though is that it fell apart yesterday. The hair is set in a plastic holder
and that's glued into the handle. However, the plastic holder is cylindrical, but hole in the handle
isn't. This hole is also significantly larger than the hair holder so there's
little if any contact area between the pieces. They hold together with a little
bit of glue which is obviously very weak.

And if that wasn't enough, the writing on the handle is all but gone already.

This is not the quality product it appears to be. In fact, it's useless as a shaving brush.

Before that I had a Wilkinson Sword brush which I kept more than 20 years and cost about
5£. Yes, it was ugly, but it worked fine.

People should be sued to sell defective products of this kind at this type of price point.

Don't be fooled by the nice look. Buy something else.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 6 October 2013
My old badger bristle brush has slowly fallen to bits over the past decade so it was time to buy a new one.

This one is very nice indeed, soft and whips up a decent foam.

The plastic handle feels a bit cheap, but at this price (some companies charge up to £60 for a badger bristle brush) I can't complain.

Buy one, you won't be disappointed.
on 29 August 2013
The brush parted company from its handle within the first week. The glue must be ineffective. The brush itself is OK although the black colour seems to run. Frankly, I chose it because it was made in England but despite my patriotic zeal I would not purchase it again.

However, Avecena were good on its timely delivery.