on 26 January 2010
Note the title: this isn't a 'style' book but an historical overview of Edwardian-era houses, briefly covering every aspect of their construction, fixtures, fittings (including services) and decoration. It's aimed at the general reader/householder so it isn't too technical, but it packs a huge amount of detail (and illustrations) into what is a relatively short book, and even as a professional conservationist I've found it useful to have in the office as a handy reference source.
on 13 September 2010
I cannot recommend this book series highly enough! Each volume contains a treasure trove of usefula and fascinating information about each type of architecture, and what's more, is fully illustated - not just a windbag of text. No, these books are fun! There are a wealth of diagrams, fully labelled, plus lots of photos to explain all those large and small features of a period house, much of which I hadn't noticed and very much wish I had. These books are an excellent first choice for any student of historical architecture, house renovators, and dolls house modellers, especially the latter.
on 26 April 2011
Having just bought an Edwardian house with my wife (yet to move in) we've been researching the era to give us ideas for how to decorate in sympathy with the house. This book was such a surprise - I was initially disappointed that there were no coloured pictures, but once I started reading it I couldn't put it down - a fascinating glimpse into styles but also how life was for those who lived through Edwardian times. Definitely worth a read.
on 31 August 2013
If you have an Edwardian Period property and you have an interest in it and its history, this is an essential book for you. Well written and understandable.
on 18 April 2012
I have The 1930s House Explained, so I knew what to expect from this book. It's got line drawings and photos as well as clear text explaining the features of the house, and it's written clearly so even non-architects get a lot from it.

My only negative is that this book seems to concentrate mainly on the grandest Edwardian houses, whereas I really wanted to know about small houses and what you can learn about the lives of "ordinary" people from them. I'd have thought more people are likely to live in an Edwardian terrace than a Lutyens Arts and Crafts house, but they didn't get much of a mention (The 1930s House Explained did explain the features of smaller homes, as well as elaborate and iconic mansions).

If you have or know a grand Edwardian house, you'll learn a lot about it from this book, but otherwise it's not as detailed as I'd hoped.
on 11 February 2010
I liked this book a lot, worth the money for sure if your interested in the topic. Includes a short history of the period nd lots of pictures.
on 25 May 2013
Yet again Trevor Yorke has excelled himself with this clear guide to the Edwardian house. His excellent illustrations and clear explanations make it most interesting/
on 14 May 2015
Excellent range of information about layouts and interiors. It is particularly welcome that it provides direct comparisons between small, medium and large houses in many different respects.
on 1 May 2014
We just moved into a new house of this type, and I bought this book. It provides a review of the structure and key features, which is very helpful.
on 18 July 2015
It's small and concise it shows all the elements you would find in a house of that period, would of been better with more photos though.