Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 January 2012
Absolutely fantastic book. yet again jack brings the Rageley village to life in such a way that you feel as though the characters are talking to you. Loved the 5 legged zebra and george and the dragon and had tears running down my face as i was reading the book in the middle of a coffee shop. I got some strange looks when i started to laugh out loud but just couldn't stop myself . have read all of jacks books but this was I first kindle one and I loved the fact that i didn't have to go searching shops for my fav author or have to wait until the postie dropped it through the door. I would recommend this book to everyone the music he talks about in the books bring back so many memories of my school years and I just love all the books

A must read

lynne mckeag
on 24 January 2012
I loved reading this book, Jack Sheffield can make the story feel like it's real and not make believe, the children say funny things, but they don't realize it, I loved this book from beginning to end, but it was sad to get to the end, because I didn't want it to come to the end, very often while reading it, I'd laugh like crazy, it was so funny, and I'd get funny looks from my partner.

I highly recommend this book to others, you will love it, I can't wait until the next one,

Janet Davies
Falmouth
Cornwall
on 24 January 2012
I got this delivered on Tuesday 17th Jan and by Saturday 21st I had finished it- I couldn't put it down. I have read all of the books in the series so far and this book is just as magical and charming as the rest. I have been well and truly sucked into Jack and Beth's life and as a primary school teacher myself I can relate to all parts of Jack's school life. I can't wait for book 7. Well done Jack.
on 27 February 2012
Hugely disappointed. Waited a whole year to see how the dramatic cliffhanger of the accident would be resolved to find that it was done so in a matter of a few pages almost as an afterthought. The relationships between the characters is starting to irritate as they do not seem to progress from the previous books. The conversations between Jack and Laura were almost predictable and slightly ridiculous. The only saving grace was the wedding which was nicely done. Its a shame because I have loved this series of books and looked forward to each one coming out.
on 14 January 2013
I am a retired school nurse and worked during the period Jack Sheffield writes about and the books bring back very happy memories of my work in similar types of schools. They also epitomise the essence of the late seventies and early eighties so well, hinting at the changes and innovations that were on the horizon, not only for education but for society in general.
However I do have a bone to pick about how Mr Sheffield represents the stereotypical "salt of the earth" types who use an inordinate amount of malapropisms and who come across as eccentric, a little bit dim and not too well educated and I feel that a slight sense of benign condescension is being shown towards these particular Yorkshire folk! The professionals however appear to be more erudite and far more sensible, again stereotypical.
In general though I do think the books are well written, very readable and very enjoyable and although I know that I will be irritated at times I will still buy the latest one in the series!
on 21 January 2012
I absolutely loved this book. I was disappointed when I finished it.

This is a very easy book to read. The characters are a laugh. I particularly liked the bits about the "biscuit", Cannon Henry Fodder and the Zebra with the fifth leg!!!

Reading this book you realise how things have changed over the last 30+ years, and not necessarily for the better either.

I have to agree with a previous reviewer that I think this book is probably one of the best if not the best book of the series. You find yourself actually caring what happens to these characters and I was quite relieved to find that eventually all was well after the cliffhanger in the last book.

I can relate to alot of what goes on in this series as I started school in 1978 and picture these things happening during my time at primary school.

Fantastic read. Would recommend.
on 23 January 2012
Having spent all year on the cliffhanger left from the last book, I couldn't read Educating Jack quick enough, and as ever it did not disappoint. Those happy days of education when teaching was what it should be. Thank you Jack so much - next instalment please.
on 23 January 2012
My wife and I discovered Jack's books sometime in late September of last year. Since then these delightfully gentle, sensitive, and touching volumes of memoirs have been our favorite reading as I look for an academic appointment in a recession economy and my wife completes her student teaching at a local elementary school. We live in rural Vermont in the north-eastern United States, which is a continent and several decades away from north Yorkshire in the early eighties. Yet we both identify with and relate to the children, the pleasures, the travails, and the beauty Jack writes about. It's this that has made this series so dear to us. Thanks Jack.
on 5 September 2013
As I live in Yorkshire I felt that I knew the village and district which made it more interesting. It was still a lovely book to read and you felt that you were in the village living with the characters.
on 26 January 2012
I have read all of the Teacher books (more than once) and this last book "Educating Jack" is yet another example of a fine authors work. I am captivated by all of the characters in these books, and I suppose I feel part of the community. From the children to the staff and even to the atmosphere of the school, I am hooked. However, I keep getting into trouble off the Mrs. for not doing the washing up etc.

The idea of having to wait until 2013 for the next book is driving me bonkers!!!

I have read other books of this genre and they are not a patch on Jack Sheffield, thanks Jack, for keeping a 58 year old Geordie happy.