- Also check our best rated Travel Book reviews
Edmund Blunden: On the Trail of the Poets of the Great War (Battleground Europe) Paperback – 16 Mar 1999
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
As the series editor does not fail to point out, discovering Blunden is like hitting upon a treasure-trove, and it may well be a puzzling question for an author to decide how he is to tackle Blunden's precocious prowess at matching literary suggestivity with the immediacy of the appeal of the cataclysmic battlefield experience for the ordinary soldier. The plentiful illustrations, drawn quite often from Blunden's carefully updated picture book, easily constitute the better part of this publication, along with some highly instructive combinations of pics "then" and "now". Living in the region where (the second) half of Blunden's experiences took place, one's factual expectations are equally met, especially when it comes to specifications about the sites to be visited themselves.
Unfortunately, barely any hint remains of Blunden's truly outstanding narrative technique used in Undertones of War, and what one reads is but a crude summary. In that way, On the Trail of the Poets of the Great War is less a match for the kind of reading one is to expect, rather than Battleground Europe.
Where Blunden's talent springs to mind, he is unequalled either way, both in subtlety and in accuracy. The reader who has completed this volume, should not feel too put off by the real thing.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Novelists, Poets & Playwrights
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War I
- Books > History > Europe > Belgium
- Books > History > Europe > France
- Books > History > Military History > World War I
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Poetry > Genres > War
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Countries & Regions > Europe > Belgium