Sport, Economy and Society in Britain 1750-1914 (New Studies in Economic and Social History) Paperback – 18 Nov 2010
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
' … extremely welcome … and excellent introduction to the issues which historians of sport confront, and sets out the findings of the most recent research in an exemplary way … an admirable book, and it is difficult to see how it could have been done better'. History
'Tranter has produced an important book. It should enable a wide range of teachers to introduce sports history to a cross disciplinary audience; an area of study that has often been trivialised, yet one that has been central to the fabric of British life since pre-industrialisation.' Journal of European Area Studies
This is the first synthesis of its kind, and Neil Tranter provides here a concise survey of the emergence of organised, codifed, recognisably modern forms of sport. He examines the key questions in this dramatic change in the cultural life of Britain, and provides a comprehensive bibliography to enable the reader to pursue these questions in greater detail.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > History > Europe
- Books > History > World History
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Social & Cultural
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Cultural Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology