Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 October 2015
Excellent, exactly as described
on 19 February 2016
Please use a discount factor when assessing my review at the Feb.2016 part. I was really mad, and I had yet to use the book intensively. Look more closely to remaining part.

Feb.2016:

Honestly I'm mad at the Oxford Univ. Press (OUP). This book had the makings to be the great bible of the econometrics subject.

The book has a decent amount of typos, some more severe than others, but that's to be expected when you write a book on this subject with 700 pages... You can compare with the Green's book. The latter has much more. The problem is that some lazy people at OUP decided to disregard the corrections the author have been making this last years. So, you get all the typos, since the first printing, when one would expect to get a revised edition. OUP please be more professional.

P.S: Make sure you don't by the 2009 printing of this edition. It's the same as the 1st printing of regular edition. It has taken me more than 3hr just to correct almost half of all the typos that are presented in the authors' site. OUP please go f@q yourselves. What @ssh( )les...

P.S.: Still doing some typo corrections. However, it's the first time I see a correction of a typo from a previous correction of a previous typo. Honestly, the authors could have done a better job... Losing my mind with these corrections. Also, I've never seen a typo list with so many euphemisms...

April 2016:
When I first bought the book I was expecting an exposition at the level of Hayashi's Econometrics. Unfortunately, it lacks many details. The book is too verbose as if trying to compensate for some mathematical 'details' which are hidden away. This is very annoying. Also, I thought the book would try to be as complete as possible, without constant references to outside sources. The authors in almost every chapter, counting from the 3rd chapter always forward the reader to their 'Estimation and Inference in Econometrics' book, and also to T. Amemiya Advanced Econometrics. Therefore, I begin to wonder if I should not have bought one of those two books instead...

One of the things that annoyed me very much, and contrasted immensely with Hayashi's methodology (or a mathematician's), is that in chapter 4 (asymptotic behaviour), when we're supposed to read which Law of Large numbers, or Central Limit Theorem, they use, the authors simply state that there are many versions, and 'reassure' the reader that the one they use is enough to help them prove the theorems. However, they never state which versions they use!! They forward the reader to their other book. So, if you don't have the book, you're left wondering which one they use. I think that had I known this, I would not have bought this book, but the references...
on 28 December 2007
A MUST HAVE !

The BEST text for intermediate level Econometrics (final year undergrad/ Masters).

Clearly explains difficult concepts and intuitions.