on 23 November 2016
I've loved this book, so much in fact I've bought a copy for my sister.

I'm not a vegan and I hate tails that start with "I was a hopeless drunk/drug addict" and so on. This book however explains how unlikely things can be of great benafit to any runner. I really enjoyed the positive vain that runs all the way through this book. It's not preaching and it's not self help and I think it applies to both new runners and ultra runners along with everyone in between.
on 12 May 2016
This book made me cry quite a lot! But overall it is very inspiring. I had a guy do some plastering for me but he really didn't do a great job and when he said he'd be here until 5 he usually left by 3. He said he got tired because of his vegan diet. Well this book shows that you can be vegan and be an ultra champion.

I tend towards inflammation so although I don't think I'll go duly vegan I think I'll try to incorporate more vegan meals into my diet (I'm currently pescetarian). The running stuff is useful too and it has made me think about my running and want to increase the distance (I've done four half marathons but nothing longer yet).
on 2 April 2013
I really enjoyed this. I don't think it was quite up to the same standard as Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen, and there was a little bit of overlap, but it was a fascinating read.

The author tells of his athletic career from the early days. It's hard to know sometimes how much he loved it and how much was more a compulsion, but the results are just as interesting, and tying it in to the dietary changes was a bonus. I did get a little put off when he told us that he relies on homeopathic medicines - I can understand being reluctant to take things like Ibruprofen as it might cause him to miss potential warning signs and push himself too hard leading to serious damage, but for me it removed a certain amount of the trust that I might feel for his opinions on things.

There were some good bits of advice in there though, both on running and an diet. Or at least some interesting bits of advice that spoke to me, and which I think I may well try out. I don't think I can find all the ingredients he mentions here in Sweden (certainly not in any shops that are easy to find!), but there's certainly some inspiration there anyway.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 April 2013
I read this book because of its link to 'Born to Run'. I was a bit concerned that it would be all about how you -must- be a vegan if you want to run well. The author does go on about being a vegan, a lot, but this is not entirely what the book is about. The book is more of an auto-biography of a vegan ultra-runner.
I like the fact that he starts from the beginning; explaining how his childhood affected his life and achievements. It has given me a good insight into the mind of an ultra-runner, how he thinks, how he approaches the races, the monotony, the training and why he is successful. I particularly like the fact that he tells it like it is; success is tough and painful, not something you have given to you.
I feel I have learned a lot, I will not be becoming a vegan any time soon, but have incorporated his thoughts into my diet with interesting results. I have used passages from the book to focus my mind before races.
I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in distance running, being a vegan or both!
on 4 December 2017
Really interesting book especially if you are a runner/ultra-runner. If you enjoyed Born to Run by Christopher Mcdougall you will enjoy this.

Scott Jurek was one of the worlds top Ultra runners, and this is his story of how he got there.

It is a very easy and enjoyable read with every chapter ending with a vegan food recipe.
This should not put you off as he does not preach about veganism and some of the recipes are very tasty.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 June 2013
Scott Jurek seems to be one of life's good guys. His account of growing up dirt-poor, then finding his passion for long distance running, the friendships he's made on the trail, and the utter domination of the incredibly demanding field of ultramarathon is well-written and informative. The recipes sprinkled throughout are a nice touch which sets this book apart from many other sporting memoirs.
Not being a vegan myself, I was wary at first, but Jurek simply presents what he's found to work for him without preaching. I got a lot out of this book and would recommend it to all runners, whether or not they are interested in ultra-distance events.
on 29 January 2016
Bought this for my husband as he is a life long fanatical runner(not ultra marathons though!) He really enjoyed the book, although was a bit confused with the "popping up recipes" throughout the book lol. ( Of course that's just because cooking is a foreign language to him!). Sure all mad runners out there will enjoy this....so says my Jim!
on 1 July 2015
Scott Jurek takes us through the slow burn that ultimately spits out a super athlete. In doing so he demonstrates the power of friendship, parental teachings (intended or otherwise) love, grit and sheer knowing what it is to endure.

He packs a punch with his honest appraisal of what makes the ultra runners, super athletes, tick. He shares his insights on " the becoming" the spaceless, timeless, beingness that is the zone. He never preaches, never flinches from painful insight and shares the power of competition in making him who he has become, an all time inspirational runner, who can motivate those of us who think 13.5 miles is quite a long way.

Even if you never leave your bed, this book is a love poem to parents, partners and friends. I recommend it.
on 22 May 2013
I'm neither an ultra runner or a vegetarian but from reading the book description I was interested to find out a little bit more about both and how they worked in harmony for Scott. I absolutely loved this book and was hooked from start to finish. The story painted from Scott's childhood to present day and his experiences and races in between we're fantastic, inspirational, thought provoking and I'm sure will have a lasting effect on me. Each time I picked up the book it made me think, and 9 times out of 10 made me want to put my trainers on and head off for a few miles (many less than in this book though). I'd really recommend this book, runner or not there is something in there for everyone.
on 24 October 2013
what I found fascinating was not necessarily the eating part but the development of the author as an ultra marathoner. As a runner myself I was really interested to see how he ran more and more, exploring the countryside and news ways of fuelling himself at the same time. The vegan recipes which accompany each chapter look really tasty but you do seem to need a lot of ingredients for each dish, and some of which I have never heard of so I'm not sure I will be making many of them. But the running chapters have definitely encouraged me to try more running.