Customer reviews

on 6 May 2015
To be honest I have never found a very good caribbean cook book. This one is OK. It has some useful a recipes. Its a colourful book with some jamaican history and a quality print and probably one of the better ones out there, but at the end of the day, youtube has been more beneficial for me. In my opinion.
on 17 September 2017
My mum actually introduced me to this book. We're Jamaican and I grew up eating this food so obviously I'm fussy about my Jamaican take out and my cookbooks.

When my mum showed me this book. I fell in love. I tried to steal it. I photocopied pages. Lost pages. So I searched for this book. Couldn't find it to buy. Then I saw it on TV in someone's home and decided to look for it again and here it is!!! So happy!!!

The receipes are correct! It's not someone trying to cook Caribbean like Marco Pierre White's rice and peas (seriously we should sue him for defamation) it's authentic!!! And if you're thick like me (lol) it's very easy to follow
on 5 December 2005
I have searched high and low over the past 6 weeks to find a well written, well illustrated caribbean cook book with authentic recipes as a gift for my sister in law, and up until now, have been bitterly disappointed.
This was the 6th book I ordered, and I am pleased to report that it ticked all my boxes and subsequently made me grin from ear to ear.
I am of west indian origin myself, so my standards are quite high, and I can spot a 'fake' a mile off, but you will find all of the 'traditional' recipes in here - curry goat, rice and peas, jerk pork/chicken, ackee & saltfish, fried dumplings etc, plus many many others to give you inspiration. The recipes are authenic, and where appropriate, the author suggests substitute ingredients.
The instructions are clear, well written, thorough, and easy to follow. The colour photographs - and there are lots and lots of them - are unprentious and give you a clear indication of what your finished dish should look like.
I was only intending to purchase 1 book as a christmas gift, but was so pleased with it, I subsequently purchased another one for myself.
I definately think that this is the best caribbean cookery book that Amazon has to offer at the moment, and represents great value for money. I wasn't disappointed, and I don't think you will be either
11 Comment| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 April 2005
This book is perfect for the outdoor cook, or the indoor cook who has a preference for outdoor food i.e. the barbecue fanatic. I've so far tried out only a handful of recipes and found them easy to follow and successful. No doubt this is a book will get used a lot during the summer (i.e. BBQ weather)! The style of writing is accessible and unpretentious unlike other more notable chefs (a la Nigel Slater / Nigella Lawson et al). The first few chapters also give an insight into the Caribbean life and where the recipes originated. A good all-round book.
on 28 March 2014
My Jamaican boyfriend has this book and after reading it I just had to have a copy. Colourful, brilliant photographs, wonderful recipes. Looking forward to trying lots of these fabulous recipes.
on 21 April 2013
i really like cooking from this book. really easy to follow. Great to find didshes my nan used to make.
on 7 March 2015
This is an excellent book full of good recipes even if some of the ingredients are difficult to source!
on 18 March 2016
lots of fun with this book