- Paperback: 154 pages
- Publisher: INTERNATIONAL JEWELRY PUBLICATIONS,U.S.; UK ed. edition (8 Mar. 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0929975421
- ISBN-13: 978-0929975429
- Product Dimensions: 1.3 x 15.9 x 24.1 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 926,330 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
EXOTIC GEMS: 1 (Newman Exotic Gem) Paperback – 8 Mar 2010
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
I think Newman has done an excellent job of catering to both consumers and professionals. As a gemmologist I would have liked more photos of inclusions, clarity, colour, but as a realist I know that this would have raised the price too much, and might also have made the book too dense for the non-specialist. The gemmological information and the discussions of how to evaluate each stone are fascinating, useful, realistic and readable and there are plenty of references for further reaading.
Almost most wonderful - the photographs of stones and jewellery set with the stones. Almost equally wonderful - the sources of the photographs, often stone dealers or jewellery designers, whose websites have opened another world I hadn't yet found!
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
However, as volume 1 you need to buy volume 2 as well which has an additional 15 chapters on related gems. After I bought volume 1 and volume 2 of Newman's Exotic Gems, there were still some missing. I found this in her third book, Rare Gemstones, which covers more of the rare and newer gems gaining popularity.
Since buying them, I have never shelved them in my library but keep them out. I may not be able to afford the gems, but I can covet the gems and spend hours just looking at the illustrations.
But, lest you think they are coffee table picture books of gems, if I wanted to I could take the time to read the books and understand the characteristics that make these minerals gems.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Home & Garden > Antiques & Collectables > Antiques & Collectables by Subject > Jewellery
- Books > Home & Garden > Antiques & Collectables > Reference & Price Guides
- Books > Reference > Consumer Guides
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Natural Resources Management
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Rocks, Minerals & Fossils