• EMP
  • Customer reviews

on 14 February 2016
Solidly written, this provides empirical evidence that the writer is able to employ skills to create a well crafted novel.

So many post apocalyptic novels focus on the emptying of the well of social cohesion. It was refreshing to read one where the emphasis was on the possibility of an alternative.

One could empathise with the characters, some empowered by the change, others left with a certain emptiness.

A minor peeve, but I understand the logic, as an empoverished emptor of reading material, I regularly download free books, as this was. But try to avoid books in series, so I have to buy further instalments. Beware, this is definitely a pre cursor to another book.
on 18 December 2015
The first three chapters are basically about David, the protagonist, travelling to meet his parents (complete with directions), meeting his parents, talking to his neighbours, eating, and other mundane, boring things, like brushing his teeth. The dialogue is forced. The action is non-existent. There's no character development at all. No sense of urgency, no tension. It's disappointing, because EMP-themed apoc fiction isn't well covered in the genre. Give this one a miss and read Flare instead, which is a much more enjoyable read.
on 2 July 2016
My reviews do not go into the storylines too deeply for fear of spoiling the book for readers.
I found the book to be very enjoyable. An interesting topic which is a concern I'm for some in the scientific world I am sure. The book relates to the earth being hit by an EMP thus disabling all things electrical and the subsequent fallout. The main characters being David Hartsman, his Dad (Pat) his Mom, the great survivalist of the novel Ted & Ann provides the female perspective.
on 30 July 2016
Gave up after a few chapters. A small town full of ordinary people seemed to work out instantly what was happening and go into full on apocalypse survival planning. Deciding to prepare for digging graves after little more than 24 hours? That seemed just a little over the top. The characters seemed to have little subtlety and reading felt like a drudge so I deleted.
on 9 January 2017
Nothing remotely similar to "one second after" or "grid down" but it was a welcome distraction for a few hours (6hr cleared) when family reunion became civil war.
on 19 December 2015
Covers the staples of surviving all electric stuff failing, but reads more like the manual rather than an adventure.
Its a three star rating for me it lacked ruthlessness in some aspects, several times I caught myself saying "die already, need to get going"
on 1 April 2018
One of many books I've read on this theme. Enjoyable but not quite good enough to convince me to pay the price for book 2.
on 18 January 2016
Good starter book but feel a bit mislead as I assumed it would be a man off to find his family.in effect it's a man who thinks about going to find his family but gets distracted.
on 31 March 2016
Nothing much happens but it wasn't awful. Nicely written. I did look for part two of the story.
on 10 March 2016
Brilliant ! Love these books, although I have been having nightmares about EMP's and being the only one left on the Earth !!