Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£6.99|
Save £4.00 (57%)
EATEN BY THE JAPANESE: The Memoir of an Unknown Indian Prisoner of War Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
It also gives an alternative view on the formation of the Indian National Army (INA), by a man who appears to have no political axe to grind: by John Baptist Crasta's account, coercion was used. I don't think there's any doubt that genuine Indian nationalists joined the INA, but clearly not everyone entered it in such a spirit.
John Crasta's section of the book reads as if it was written quickly (not badly, not at all: just quickly) by a man setting down the essence of his experiences as a means of catharsis. It gives a chronological account of events; the analysis has to wait for the contribution by Richard, his son. Richard also injects a gentle note of humour here and there.
I think I had two questions which the book didn't answer: firstly, what sort of impact John Crasta's incarceration had on his personality and secondly, why he didn't join the INA. Was it out of loyalty to the British Empire, or was it something more personal, a feeling that he had made a promise and should stick by it?
This book is a quick and worthwhile read for anyone interested in the wider FEPOW story, and adds another first-hand voice telling a painful story of World War II.
Its a nice read but limited in content and gets a twee in places.
Not sure who I would recommend it to, but I'm glad I read it just to know it was there.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Have not finished it written by a foreigner does not get points across.kerkergv rkgnvkrnv krgnv rkgtn krgtnkrt kjrgtn jrgtb krgtvkrvhPublished on 7 April 2013 by LyndaGripton
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Prisoners of War
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > Branches > Army
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > World War II
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Leaders & Notable People
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Professionals & Academics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military