Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 June 2014
I picked out the first as it was on offer it hot me hooked so I just had to read the follow up and it didn't disappoint I l ok me to listen to books when trying to sleep at night but that's hard when it is to riveting to stop the scary thing is this kind of thing is possible and as one of the characters says who will believe them I am already downloading the final instalment to see how it ends a fascinating read with lots of twists and turns to the plot
on 21 April 2014
I really didn't enjoy this book. For me it didn't build up in any way to a suspense or drew a dark enough picture of the main antagonist, the commander, to warrant an immediate page turner. The character, Nick Blackwood, the son of the commander who is now an FBI special agent doesn't grab you either and your not pulled into caring much about him or what he cares about.
on 14 March 2017
Well written, fast moving murder story. Clever storyline in which you can almost feel sorry for the murderer. Couldn't put this book down
on 2 November 2014
This book is the first I have read by this author. The characters were well portrayed and the descriptions of events graphic and well written. The storyline flowed well enough to not have to back track. I will certainly be reading her other novels.
on 27 April 2017
Good book and it arrived before the delivery date.
on 29 July 2013
found it hard to put it down, story kept you guess all the way. i thought i had the person then it all changed again. very good.
on 14 January 2014
FIRST TIME FOR ME TO READ ONE HER BOOKS,IT WAS AMAZINGFROM START TO FINISH.I WILL BE READING ALOT MORE OF HER BOOKS.
on 21 July 2013
A story of murder. People with mental heath issues leading to cruel and unusual punishment , damaged people who seek revenge. The story was page turning but at time there was a lack of depth in the characters, I felt faith the sons were not exposed enough given the nature of their up bringing and Brenda was not always intelligent in her responses. However I did enjoy it and never felt I wanted to not finish it.
on 12 May 2014
Having read the synopsis of the plot of this book, I thought I was in for a treat. I ignored the warnings from other readers and downloaded it. Well, I finished it; but it's definitely not the best written book I've ever read, and is a very far fetched and implausible story.

Our heroes Special Agent Nick Blackwood, his policeman brother Jake, and TV reporter Brenda team up to solve a spate of murders linked to the Blackwood's father. However, what police force in the world would allow a reporter to tag along to every crime scene, and actually help search it? Or - alone - visit a known criminal psychopath? What prison wouldn't have a guard in the room with them at the very least? And when Brenda underwent surgery and was told by Nick when he visited her in hospital that he had a lead he was going to follow up, she immediately offered to go with him. I was half expecting her to leap from her hospital bed dragging her intravenous drip behind her.

There was also far too much use of the word "that". The victim worked at a security company, and even when Nick and Jake knew the name of it (which escapes me now, I really wasn't all that interested), they continued to call it "that security company". Eg. "I'll visit that security company". "I need to go to that security company." "Have you spoken to that security company?" "I'm going back to that security company." Very sloppy. Drove me mad.

At the end of the book it mentions that Rita Herron is an award winning author. However, based on the naive writing style and rather ridiculous plot, I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what the award could possibly have been for. I shan't be re-visiting Slaughter Creek.
on 6 November 2016
A good read i couldnt put it down it was well written with murder and an interesting plot and characters