on 24 March 2017
The more you read about the adventures of Myrtle Clover, the funnier they become. A highly opinionated octogenarian who is determined to solve the crimes (mainly murder) in her home town by bullying her neighbour into being Watson to her Sherlock is very entertaining. One can understand the exasperation of her son but also support Myrtle in her determination to remain independent. The characters develop with each novel and the whole provides an insight into rural life in the US.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 October 2016
An enjoyable !ight read. Myrtle is an elder!y lady with an enquiring mind who is constantly at loggerheads with her son Red, who just happens to be the local po!ice chief. He wants to get Myrtle under control by getting her to go into an old people's home but she is quite shrewd enough to outwit him. The murder of a local hairdresser leads her to involve her friend and neighbour Miles in an investigation. The book is lightweight but quite fun, a gentle, relaxing and mildly humorous concoction.
on 3 October 2016
A cute book and lovely to see that the main character is a lovely, clever woman in her 80's with her sidekick friend
on 30 October 2013
I enjoyed this book. It is not a "deep" book but rather a lot of fun. I enjoyed the insights into small town America and the personality of the main character. definitely worth reading
on 18 August 2014
Funny.
on 25 July 2013
Another great Myrtle Oliver story, just the book to read on a hot summer night or on holiday. As always Myrtle gets the result.
A nice little cosy mystery in the 'Myrtle Clover Mystery' series, I think this is the second novel. Myrtle is an octogenarian and former English teacher. Residing in the town of Bradley, North Carolina, her son Red is the local chief of police.

When Tammy, the owner of a local hairdressers is found dead, Myrtle is on the case, trying to get her friend and neighbour Miles, to assist her. Tammy has been hitting the bottle hard, and talking out of place, and everyone is worried about what gossip she has on them. This isn't exactly a difficult case for us to solve, but it is a fun light read as Myrtle is just such a character.

If like me you read a cosy mystery for fun and relaxation then you should quite enjoy this. With Myrtle always having to battle her son to stay out of a retirement home, and in this story having to deal with the dilemma of an horrendous painting this is ideal for putting your feet up with.
on 7 December 2013
I should have read this book before A Body in the Backyard (previously reviewed) as it was written first and would have explained ages of the characters, etc. which confused me a bit in the "Body" book.
This book would probably appeal more to older readers (like me!) who can empathize with the main character, Myrtle - a feisty lady in her late 80's, who likes to solve crimes before her Chief of Police son, Red. At the same time she is staving off Red's attempts to get her into a nursing home!
I liked the interaction with Myrtle and Red; and with her neighbour, Miles - a reluctant helper in her crime solving.
It is a bland, easy read with no sex or foul language and no unnecessary blood and gore, despite 2 murders, and is the sort of book I like to read occasionally as a change from the more blood-thirsty murder and adventure books which I read. I wouldn't want a whole diet of this type of book though!

Tammy, a drunken hairdresser, is hinting at revealing the secrets of a lot of her clients. So when she is murdered there is no lack of suspects!
Myrtle is well portrayed, especially when she tries to act the "helpless old lady" to hide her razor sharp mind and try and pry more details out of the Police or the suspects.
I didn't think her visit to a psychic added anything to the story (though she WAS more developed in the "Body" book) - especially as she didn't see anything really helpful in the tarot cards.
There were some humorous lines and I enjoyed the book, though wouldn't rave over it. I would probably read another book in the series, but not for a while.
on 11 November 2013
dIDN'T MIND THIS BOOK, BUT IN PARTS YOU KNEW WHAT WAS COMING.

Didn't mind this book, was not too heavy to get into. If I had to put it down quickly I could just pick it back up and continue where I left off .Not too mind boggling to keep up.Kept me entertained. Would now look for more of her books.
on 25 August 2016
I started reading this series because I needed something to preoccupy my time whilst in recovery and I didn't want something challenging, romantic or too indepth as I just wasn't in the right frame of mind.
These are very simple books, the plots are okay, the writing isn't great and they can be quite predictable but in saying that I was only looking for an easy read and you do get quite hooked, it's very easy to read chapter after chapter and still want to read more.
I think a lot of influence has come from Murder, She Wrote. The setting, the people, Myrtle's relationship with a grumpy old man. Particularly in this book with the beauty parlour and it's gossiping customers.
Basically, if you want something basic to fill a void and take your mind off things for a while, these books will work a treat without getting boring.