on 29 October 2007
I'm faintly embarrassed to say that I was really looking forward to reading Jackie Collins' new book as I've found her previous novels quite entertaining.
However, this time, I felt very disappointed. Lots of plots as usual which is fine, but they didn't seem to actually go anywhere and all ended in a bit of an anti-climax. Nothing interesting happens.
The main focus is on Lucky's annoying 16 year old daughter, Max and her 'Internet Freak' who becomes obsessed with her. She's not really in danger as he doesn't want to hurt her so... well... nothing really happens. A common theme in the book...
In a nutshell: Boring.
To be honest, this book has proven to me that Lucky may have reached the end of her rope and perhaps the death of the character may not be a bad thing as this book didn't have the usual flair that you come to expect from Jackies writing. It left me wondering if she's starting down the road to relying on her name to sell a book rather than making sure that she will keep the readers happy.

Other area's where I have problems is that Geno the Ram is still going at 95 and I get the feeling that there's more ram in his computer than anywhere near him. But what really hacked me off was the fact that most of this book had the reader chained to the escapades of a 16 year old spoiled brat who doesn't do anything for the book and were she breathing would have had a solid beating for wasting a lot of my time. Its not that I'm anti Jackie Collins, I'm not, I love her stuff and a new novel from her is always a highlight of my calendar, yet this tale really did seem to have to be sold off of Jackie's name with the characters being pretty dull and missing the usual Collins Lustre. To give you a taster the highlight of this book with its mystery is who gave who crabs. For gods sake, I really don't care, Jackie please take Lucky back to the way she's previously been and make me a happy reader once again, perhaps even doing so by assassinating that damn annoying daughter and double my reading pleasure.
on 8 May 2008
Well this an easy reading book - family fueds - unhappy people - that make you want to keep on reading this book. A very good book to take on holiday or if you are not having a holiday just buy this book -have some early nights - and just enjoy this good read. There is always something happening. I am enjoying reading every page. So off I go to read some more chapters.
on 1 July 2013
Excellent book to read, the character ling in the last book her name was pia so this through me a bit but it was still a really great story to read and I can't wait to read the next book I gave this book a five star rating because I enjoyed it so much.
VINE VOICEon 14 October 2013
A huge, brash, unsubtle brick of a novel. It's an 80s soap in book form: shallow characterisation, short scenes jump cutting to other short scenes, and just enough narrative to make it plausible.

This is Jackie Collins probably at her worst, all swearing, violence and sex. Not one character has a redeeming feature. I assume the speed of the narrative is meant to stop you from thinking about character, but what works on TV does not work (for me, at least) in book form.

I normally love a good Jackie Collins because what she does, she does well and it's worth it for the entertainment value. This was a shocker, though. She'd done a real Barbara Cartland here by dictating at breakneck speed in short paragraphs and episodes to get the book done. Unlike Barbara, she forgot to make anyone with whom the reader could empathise. All the characters either have hugely unlikeable traits or are too vague: from Lucky Santangelo as two dimensional ruthless businesswoman down to Irma Bonar as one-dimensional trophy wife. Empowerment is not the watch word here.

And how much back-story can you cram into one book? By a third of the way through I was fed up of reading about what had obviously happened to people in previous books. If you were that hooked, you'd know, or if you were new like me, you wouldn't care because it added nothing to the story. Jackie Collins seems to believe it gives depth to character. She's wrong.

Even the title is pretty irrelevant - the incident it refers to is something insignificant by a minor character. It feels like Jackie thought it up along with a main plotline which she subsequently dropped for a "better" idea.

It was like watching one of those afternoon TV movies from way back. Fascinating, but ultimately crap. Probably a good plane read. I'm sad to say it because I've enjoyed lots of Jackie before, but this was awful.
on 1 October 2014
Hmmm not my fave in the Santangelo saga but i did still enjoy it. I found Max so flippin annoying and her stupid friends Cookie and whatever the other one was! BUT i really liked Anthony Bonar and Irma .. i enjoyed that part a lot and wish it had been more about him and her to be honest and a lot less of silly annoying Max. I hope Max will be less annoying in the next installment with i am about to start. I am getting bored of Venus now - i hope she's not in the next one time for her to retire me thinks!.
on 25 April 2008
The first Collins novel I read was Thrill and it lived up to its title. Her newer books aren't a patch on her older work, in this book she seems to have given up on the sex, glamour and excitement for a trundle through an old characters latest escapades.
This story features some old and new characters, although you could pick it up without reading the previous books in the Santangelo series. It centres around Lucky and her latest hotel 'The Keys' which is a bit 'been there, read that', and her daughter Max who gets kidnapped and just as it gets exciting the drama stops and you find yourself getting off halfway through the ride. The story picks up a bit towards the end but it seems like she ran out of time and sums up the ending of each characters storyline very quickly over a few pages which is a real anti-climax.
Collins keeps the chapters short, which is good for a bedtime read and the suspense follows the trusted formula of moving between the characters and leaving each chapter on a cliff-hanger, but if you lost this on the beach you might find yourself not caring about the story enough to go and buy it again, and it's not one you will re-read over and over again like some of her others.
on 17 May 2016
This book is badly marked, and looks like someone has been easing curry while reading it, therefore, in poor condition yet was described as being in good condition. Which was the only reason I bought it
on 25 June 2008
Now let's see, are all the usual suspects in her latest novel? The pyscho stalker - check, the cheeky sassy 16 year old - check, the apparently well matched couple, but one of whom is playing away - check, the villainous mafia boss - check, that is all the same type of characters that have appeared in all the other books, but why ruin a winning formula, now it all just needs to be put together in an interesting storyline.....oh slight problem here.
I have really enjoyed the earlier Jackie Collins books such as Lovers and Gamblers, Chances, Lucky, the Hollywood Wives books etc and used to get so excited by the thought of her next novel coming out, but since then it seems that Jackie Collins has run out of ideas and is just rehashing the same old character types in the same old scenarios. This would not be quite so bad if she bothered to put together a good storyline, but it seems in this book that she runs out of interest in the characters and the storyline and finishes it with extremely lame endings, rather than building the story to an exciting conclusion. The kidnapping plot which has been done time and time again in her other books, is half hearted, falls flat in the middle of the story and has a very lame unexciting ending as per most of the story. Her main characters Lucky and Lenny, by now have been together years, had children and been through some real issues, but still talk to each other in the book as though they have only just met rather than a well suited couple as Jackie Collins wants to portray.
So did I enjoy this book? Take a guess! At least it was better than Lovers and Players, which was dire in the extreme.
However after all this I am not saying don't buy this book. If you are new to Jackie Collins and have only just started reading her books then the story will be fresh and you may enjoy it, I feel that the storyline is not that good, but that is because I am comparing her earlier well put together novels with the later lazier ones, anyone else who has not got that comparison will not have the same complaints about the storylines. Although I feel she has not bothered to put together a good ending to this book, she does write in a sassy and entertaining style and pulls no punches with character assasination of certain types that you will find in the real world.
I just wish that she would go back to how she used to write and start to entertain us all again with something new rather than just relying on what has worked before and hoping it will do the same trick.
on 26 January 2008
I enjoyed this book but if you read all of the six santangelo books in sequence and then finished with this one I think you would be very disappointed, and also it would be very obvious how Jackie Collins just isn't writing books like she used to; I think she's just writing them for the American market now - she's forgotten where she comes from!!! Even for a holiday book this really isn't good enough, and if you read one of her early books not knowing who the author was, and then this, again not knowing who the author was, if you were then told it was the same author you just wouldn't believe it! This book is really amatuer and I just wish she would return to her old style and put a bit more effort in. I haven't read a truly good JC since Thrill! and that was a long time ago. As one reviewer said in an earlier review, she's just relying on her name now, and that's pretty sad. I wouldn't really recommend this and I certainly would suggest for anyone who has never read her books or who is just starting to, start at the beginning of her career!