VINE VOICEon 22 November 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I waited to review this excellent, woman-friendly software until I could say with 100% truthfulness that it had worked for me! It took me a while but now, as a new driver, I feel quite justified in saying that this product was a huge help in getting through my theory and practical tests.

Like many women I wasn't a total natural behind the wheel, but I was used to mugging things up for exams. The theory was the easiest part of the process for me, but nevertheless the practice questions and mock tests included here were a terrific help in checking my progress and knowing when I was ready to sit the test. The mock hazard perception tests were just like the real thing - they really helped demystify the process for me and the scenarios included in the videos covered everything from city driving in traffic to narrow country lanes. The multiple choice questions were split into categories and analysed your results over time to identify your areas of weakness and level of improvement. It's possible to make several user accounts so that other members of your household can all use the software without affecting each other's statistics.

The practical test section included lots of helpful advice, which videos clearly demonstating each each element of the test as well as more basic driving techniques. I found these a helpful adjunct to my regular lessons with my instructor. There was also a full-length mock test video so you could experience what a real test might be like ahead of time. Although the terrain used was fairly urban and I live in a more rural area, I was still able to take away a good sense of how real test conditions might feel. However, at first I did find the girl playing the part of the learner driver a bit annoyingly competent!!

One of the most useful areas for last-minute revision was the "Show Me, Tell Me" section which took you through the under-the-bonnet checks and questions about the car controls which an examiner may ask you at the start of the test. I aways found it difficult to remember where the engine coolant lives or how to find the dipstick, so these step-by-step videos and model answers were invaluable for me.

One welcome extra to the computer package was the book "A Girl's Guide To Losing Your L-Plates". At times during the process of learning to drive I felt that the whole driving thing had been designed for men around skills that came easily to them - something which was only exacerbated by the fact that I'm the only woman in our household and my instructor was a man as well. This entertaining, friendly little paperback made me feel less isolated and addressed a lot of the worries and emotions I experienced before, during and after passing my test. It also gave me some terrific practical advice on issues like safety as a lone woman driver, car maintenance and just feeling confident behind the wheel.

All in all, a great study aid for anyone looking to qualify as a driver.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This package comes with a paperback book called 'girls guide to losing your L plates'. Why wasn't it called 'A 'guide to losing your L plates'. Why they have singled and immediately turned off half their potential customers, I do not know.

This book contains lots of tips and info regarding each process in the quest for acquiring ones license. (which are applicable to both males and females).

You also get a pair or L plates and a DVD 'Car Maintenance Made Easy'. Which covers the basics of car maintenance(such as understanding tyre tread depth, changing a tyre, changing bulbs, checking oil etc)

The main portion of this product, and the reason I ordered it was the 'All tests 2011 edition' piece of software.
Split into three catagories (theory, hazard perception and practical driving lessons).

I first took the tests, to see what my current level was (as a non driver). Then did some studying using the software, and retook the tests again, and every result was unsuprisingly an improvement on the initial test.

There is a 'review centre' which allows you to see your progress in chart form which is a nice addition(I'm unsure if this is on other driving instructional software)

Its easy to use. Installed without any problems, and it will no doubt get a lot more use when other family members begin to start their learning to passing their test.

You also get an up to date edition of the highway code, although this is included on the software, so you either read it on the screen, or print the many pages if you wish to read it elsewhere.
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A comprehensive package containing all the theoretical elements needed to help you pass your driving test. The course comprises a DVD Rom with interactive programmes covering the driving theory test, hazard perception tests and practical driving lessons, a standard DVD with video tutorials on essential car maintenance, a paperback book titled 'The Girls' Guide To Losing Your L Plates' and even a pair of magnetic L plates.
The theory test section of the DVD Rom gives interactive examples of the theory test questions just as you are presented with them in the actual test. Likewise, the hazard perception videos prepare you well as the hazard perception test can trip you up.
Just a little niggle here, not about the product under review but at the hazard perception test in general. A few years ago I had the opportunity to take my PSV licence and while the theory test questions are geared towards the specialities of bus driving the hazard perception tests are the same for any category of driver. I initially struggled with these until I realised that, with forty years of driving experience under my belt, I was seeing the hazards sooner than the programme intended and hence scored very low, delaying my input for a second or so and I scored highly.
Gripe over, the third section of the DVD Rom contains a large number of video tutorials including a mock driving test.
The car maintenance DVD shows how to carry out the essential maintenance tasks on your car which gives a general guide but should be used in conjunction with your car's handbook.
The book included in the package I found a little patronising but it's a long time since I was was 17 and started out on my driving career.
My overall impression is of a well-put together pack of resources, but for the ultimate test I will pass it on to my 17 year old niece who is just embarking on her driving lessons. Hopefully I will be able to report back favourably in a couple of months.
VINE VOICEon 1 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A good piece of kit if you are new to driving and this is great to practice at home. The pack contains a CD-ROM of all the various software: Theory Test, Hazard Perception Test and Practical Driving Lessons. There is also the Highway Code on the disc and a safe driver test. In the pack there is also a book directed at women drivers (bizarrely), called 'The Girls' Guide to Losing Your L-Plates. The book is pretty good and goes through all the rudiments of good driving facts and applications. There is a DVD on Car Maintenance Made Easy, which explains how to check your tyres, replace bulbs/fuses, tyre pressure etc. All useful stuff! Finally 2 magnetic L-Plates. Excellent.

Well so far so good. I've been working my way through the CD-ROM and found the tests pretty good to try out. They certainly give you a feel of what to expect and how much you have learned whist out on the road etc. Some of it is common sense, or course, but a lot of the information will obviously 'steer' you in the right direction. I liked the Theory Test as it was good to see how I was progressing with each session and the hazard perception helped teach me about what to look out for on the road. Certainly this software in conjunction with real driving situations do give you an advantage, so in that respect I would recommend it. I did encounter one or two glitches, such as the odd time when the test didn't respond properly, but it didn't matter too much, fortunately.

I shall continue to use it.
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Anyone wanting to pass thier theory and hazard perception test should look no further than this complete box set. I have had to pass my theory twice now and both times I used this software which is absolutely a must for passing first time.

The Hazard Perception test is the crown jewel of the set. It allows to you analyse your results, showing which category your correct answers fall under most. These categories are set by the DSA, and correct analysis allows you to focus your questions on the category you are failing at. It also has learning sections to help boost your understanding. Most significantly the software has further functions that allows you to either print off test sheets or create and MP3 audio test files, absolutely ideal for extra learning whilst on the go.

The hazard percpetion is pretty standard but is an added bonus and it will aclimatise the user the what to expect in the hazard perception test. The set also includes driving practical test advice, L plates and a book. You couldn't ask for a better kit to get you started on the road. Perfect for any learner driver young or old.
VINE VOICEon 19 October 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I bought this thinking it would be a handy DVD to use on the computer for my brother to pass his theory test. We had a bit of a shock when it arrived as it's targeted at young women! (sorry, bro...) That did not stop us though - you'll be pleased to know it's exactly the same as the regular theory test DVD - thoroughly comprehensive, easy to understand, and easy to use, and my brother passed his theory test so that's the best part of all! The set also comes with L plates and a book about learning to drive for girls (which I stole, I meant borrowed to test it out) - which I found extremely useful and funny. Now it's my turn to learn, so watch out world! (also, I will be using this set...)
VINE VOICEon 13 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I would agree with some reviews that query as to why it is only aimed at half the population......... perhaps there is another set coming out for the lads? But I'm not going to quibble (or down mark) over this as this was a very nicely put together set that really would certainly help anyone preparing for their driving exam. The pack has been well put together in a friendly manner that despite the title is not too girly. I found the level of presentation was pitched just right and not too technical and plenty of helpful advice. Indeed the pack would certainly be of use to someone in the months leading up to starting their driving lessons - and especially if you didn't have access to a car between lessons. The sections on Driving Lessons, Hazard perception and driving lessons provided plenty of information. It was a nice touch that the pack even included some magnetic `learner plates'. For me this was way ahead of what I had seen in the past in this area. Very Good!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A very neat little package which handily includes magnetic L plates, an interactive dvd Rom focusing upon the theory test, hazard perception and driving lessons and an additional useful DVD on car maintenance dealing with the common tyre, oil etc problems which is a very worthy addition. There is a book included also which doesn't add much to be honest. Squarely aimed at young females by all accounts though many of them may find it all slightly pointless, I flicked through it once and now it's gathering dust.
The interactive videos work very well and their interactive real-time nature provide good practice outside of the real thing.
Very good but rather silly marketing aimed squarely at females may limit its appeal.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have found this pack a very useful introduction to starting driving. There is the practical driving test tutorial , hazard perception test, theory test , care maintenance made easy and the girls guide to loosing your L plate, also included are the L plates. I am wading my way through all the materials and feel happy to have a fore knowledge through practice on the computer before the actual practicals. I like the interactive nature of the lessons and I will recommend it to all who need a comprehensive guide to passing the driving test.
VINE VOICEon 15 March 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There is a booklet included with this package called 'girls guide to losing your L plates'. This immediately turned my son against reading it. In practice, the hints are applicable to both sexes.

The main meat of this package is theory, hazard perception and practical hints / tips.

There is a copy of the highway code that can be read on the computer or printed out.