on 8 January 2001
I realise now i cant be a dummy as this book made no sense to me at all!... The layout is awful (as stated by other reviewers) and jumps all over the place. I am used to PC's/Internet and most graphics packages so i was thinking DW would come easily with this book but no! this book almost put me off the program altogether as after the first week i gave up and put it to one side and just carried on experimenting. All i needed was a set of tutorials walking me through the basic page layout,templates,backgrounds etc but the book has nothing like that...lots of hints and tips but no "lessons"!. If i was to read it from cover to cover and memorise it all i would probably have my answers but as the author stresses the book is layed out in a way that you shouldnt have to do this!!...big disappointment....i wont be wasting anymore money - im gonna buy the Dreamweaver Bible instead! YOU WOULD BE A DUMMY TO BUY THIS BOOK!
on 12 December 2000
This book does cover almost everything you need to know about Dreamweaver 3 and constructing websites. However, it seems to be written in an almost random order. It starts with uploading your site (which you haven't made), then goes on about checking your code (which you haven't written), then about HTML (I bought Dreamweaver to avoid it!), then over half way throught the book how to build a website. Read it in reverse and it's an excellent book.
on 10 December 2000
Having read several 'dummies' books over the last couple of years, I have always found their content highly informative and easy to understand. This book, however, is the exception.
Unlike most books, there doesn't seem to be a beginning. You are more or less in the deep end from the off. Then, just as you are struggling to make some sense out of it all, the graphics suddenly switch from PC to Macintosh! This could be because the book was actually written by two people who, it would seem, used different computer types and failed to comunicate with each other.
The content of the book proved to be more of the 'wow look at this great website' and 'oh let me praise that website too...' All very nice, but what about teaching me some Dreamweaver?
I have to say that if there was a zero star rating available, I would have given it. This book truly sucks.
on 4 August 2000
This book has nearly everything one could want in a Dreamweaver book (and the rest you can find yourself by playing with Dreamweaver - the only real way to learn). It gives a lot of good keyboard shortcuts, plus useful advice, and, for those that are interested, there is even a whole section on Fireworks 3 (though I think Photoshop is much better than Fireworks myself). The book is also very good about image maps, tables and importing Excel files into Dreamweaver (*very* useful).
on 25 May 2000
Dreamweaver 3 is said to be quite a heavyweight package but this book certainly lightens the load. It does take a rather simplistic approach..but the title does say "for dummies". It guides you thro' from forming a simple webpage to producing the ultimate website with all bells and whistles! Get this book and you wont need to learn a single line of html (although there is a chapter dedicated to it).
on 23 July 2000
I've always tended to avoid books with "dummies" in the title but this one has changed my way of thinking! Although I've got the heavyweight "Dreamweaver 3 Bible", I would recommend "DW3 For Dummies" for anyone starting out with the software. Within a few days of reading the book and playing around with DW, I feel that I am not such a beginner! Very good book.
on 16 May 2000
I bought this book hoping for an introduction and general guide to building a website. It does that, though the material is presented in a rather dull and uninspiring fashion. I am needing to work hard to maintain my enthusiasm....I'll be glad when I don't need the book any more. That said, the Dummies Dreamweaver guide does have all the information.
on 23 June 2000
As a first introduction (& beyond), I think this book is an excellent buy...it has definately taught me much more than what I would have possibly learnt in a classroom setting (again saving me a fortune in fees)...if Dreamweaver is what one needs to know reasonably well, get this book.
on 7 January 2001
I didn't learn much with this book, although it covers every subject. It's so confusing... I kept going back and forth most of the time to find basic solutions. It was definately not written for beginners. Too much garbage too repetitive, not very objective, that is.
on 14 April 2000
Three words. "Just get it". Software training is part of what I do so I can easily judge the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to computer books.
I would recommend it for anyone who needs to get to grips with Dreamweaver quickly.