Dreams: God's Forgotten Language Paperback – 2 Jul 1990
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
First published twenty years ago, this revised edition of John Sanford's classic exploration of the psychological and spiritual significance of dream draws on the work of C. G. Jung to show how dreams can help us find healing and wholeness and reconnect us to a living spiritual world. Featuring a new preface by the author and using case histories from his own experience as a counselor, 'Dreams' traces the role of dreams in the Bible, analyzing their nature and examining how Christians, through fear and the constraints of dogma, have come to reject the visions through which God speaks to humanity, making dreams--in Sanford's words--'God's forgotten language.'
About the Author
John A. Sanford, a Jungian analyst and Episcopal priest, is the authorof The Kingdom Within, Invisible Partners, Healing and Wholeness, Dreams and Healing, Evil: The Shadow of Reality, What Men Are Like, and The Strange Trial of Mr Hyde. He lives I in San Diego, California.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
All I can say is to keep reading and if you want to know more perhaps progress to
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This book is written by a Jungian analyst and Episcopal priest and I learned a lot about dreams through reading it. It is written from a basically Christian viewpoint - that God spoke through dreams. And, Sanford asserts, He still does. Sanford draws heavily on Jungian views on dream interpretation.
In his introduction he does a careful definition of these terms:
1. Ego - the conscious part of our personality.
2. Unconscious - all those parts of our personality which we do not know. He prefers this term to SUBconscious, as he states that the unconscious can be as much above the ego as below it.
3. Psyche - the entire personality, including the ego and the unconscious.
4. Psychic - the inner energy or activity of the psyche.
He does not refer to these in a spiritualist sense.
He divides the book into two parts, neither of which has a specific name. He deals with the nature and structure of dreams and how they relate to the Christian life. He gives many examples of dreams in the book, and by the time you finish, you will understand dreams much better than before.
I appreciate his emphasizing that you can't put dream interpretation into a box - each person's situation has to be considered as unique.
I still cannot interpret my dreams. But I've learned to appreciate them even more, and who knows? Maybe some day either I will get the insight to interpret them or find someone who can.
I was looking for a different perspective on the fascinating subject of dreams- as opposed to the typical and impersonal symbol dictionaries, which are interesting, but mostly useless as dreams are unique to each individual.
This was written by a thoughtful, spiritual man who does not preach or condescend and so it seems that he was a Christian is the truest sense of the word :) This book moved me deeply and I would recommend it to anyone interested in studying dreams. Mercifully, John Sanford is no blind Bible-thumper.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Sleep & Dreams
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Self Help
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Thought & Practice > New Age
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Dreams
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Occult
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Spirituality > Inspirational