on 10 April 2010
Bought this to complement a Apple 1TB Time Capsule Dual-Band WiFi router and replace the DSL WiFi router that comes with O2 subscription. It is very easy to set up and there was a quick guide on draytek's website specifically for O2 DSL subscribers with all the recommended settings.
The connexion works well, is extremely stable, and the download speed is around 20% higher than before - not too sure why that would be, and I was not expecting any significant difference, so it's a good surprise.
Just to be clear - this is a very good wired DSL modem, and nothing more. You will need a router to share the connexion. Which is fine if you already have a wifi router or really want to have dual band WiFi and a DSL connection (when I purchased mine, there was no 5GHz n DSL router, and I don't think there is as of Apr 10).
on 28 December 2010
I am using this ADSL modem with an Apple Airport Extreme. It's very easy to setup. Plug this into the router with an ethernet cable, plug both the router and the modem into an ac outlet and finally set up your ISP settings within the router. It is also much more compact than I thought. I have attached a photo of it sitting on top of an Apple Airport Extreme, next to Western Digitals "elements" external hard drive for comparison.

I was put off initially by some negative reviews of slow upload speeds due to noise coming from this modem. If anything, my up/download speeds have increased and haven't had a problem with that yet.
review image
on 10 December 2012
Bought to connect Apple Airport Extreme to ADSL broadband. Worked first time. All set up is done via Apple Airport Extreme. Since initial set up it has sat quietly doing it job. The only 'maintenance' is an occasional dusting!!

Update...Fourteen months on and this kept dropping connection. Contacted DrayTek customer service who repaired and dispatched it on the day they received it. Returned to them on Saturday and got it back on Tuesday lunchtime. Truely amazing service!!
on 8 November 2013
I have owned a couple of Draytek Vigor 120 modems and just wanted to echo other reviewers' comments such as "Great product doesnt last", "Good while it lasted" and "Works really well until it doesn't".

While my first Vigor 120 was working, it was great; rock solid and suited my requirements perfectly (plugged into a vSphere 5 host with a VM running pfSense). However, after a period of time it started acting intermittently and dropping my DSL connection. This seemed more likely after a period of use, and more likely while under load. I resorted to attaching a cheap Ikea "TÄNDA" lamp timer so that my Vigor 120 got 30 minutes of 'rest' each morning. Eventually though, this was not enough as my Vigor was failing more and more regularly. I did get a replacement from Draytek which then suffered the exact same fate; worked great until it just didn't anymore. Amusingly, they also delivered a very large expensive Draytek device which was sent Recorded Delivery (insured for £50 if I'm not mistaken) and left round the back of my house (?!). They then made collection of this device a more arduous task than it should have been.

I now use a TP-Link TD-8817, bought for just shy of £15, which was a perfect drop-in replacement once it was configured to bridge mode. In fact I bought another one as a spare so that I'm not without an internet connection should the first one ever fail in a similar manner to the Draytek device. The pair still cost less than one Vigor 120.
66 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2012
I am extremely pleased and impressed with this modem with a Linksys EA4500 Dual-Band N900 Router combination, my internet/download speed is now double what it was with a BT Homehub, i have tried a variety of DSL routers over the years before trying separates and nothing has come close to what this can perform , piece of cake to set the 2 up, only hiccup was changing to ppoe in the router setup to acess internet, simple, to date no dropouts on a BT line, highly recommended
on 16 January 2014
We've been utilising these modems at quite a number of sites over the past two years. They are really easy to set up, and are initially quite reliable.

However, nearly every one of ours (about 20) have failed after 9 - 15 months of use. They start dropping the internet connection every few minutes, continually, which can initially be addressed by turning them off and back on. But after a few weeks it just gets worse and worse until they are completely useless.
on 20 June 2011
Great product, easy to set up,it connected to our BT ADSL line flawlessly without any set up, as far as I know the only ISP provider in the UK that requires some additional set up is 02 Broadband, but instructions are provided on the Draytek site if you have 02 broadband. We use it on our Apple Airport Extreme set up, we have been using this for a few months now without a hitch. Very pleased with it and it's performance
Technical Information:
ADSL & ADSL2+ ethernet modem
10/100Mbps ethernet port
bridge (pass) a single IP address or public subnet
IPv6 and IPv4 compatible
ADSL parameters pre-set for UK providers (adjustable)
PPPoA Bridging compatible with ISPs running IPv6
Annex A & Annex M
ITU-T G.992.1 G.dmt (ADSL)
ITU-T G.992.2 G.lite
ITU-T G.992.3 ADSL2
ITU-T G.992.5 ADSL2+
Annex L (READSL)
106 x 90 x 27mm
on 23 April 2010
Pleased with the Vigor 120. RTM('s) tho. I bought this item to work with a Cisco WRT610N. The Cisco could not 'find' the modem/internet with all its so called clever MAGIC fandango software. You have to nail it (the Cisco Router) down and i)tell it not to auto select (DCHP) and ii) select the appropriate protocol for the Vigor. NOTE: the vigor is very good, and different, partly because it uses a comms protocol the Cisco does not expect, which will catch you out. I repeat, READ THE FM FOR BOTH items. If you plug the Vigor 120 straight into your computer, and don't need to mess with a Router (like the Cisco) then you do not have to worry AT ALL, it's just plug & play. Bit expensive tho - but I don't buy cheap, you always get what you pay for.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 February 2016
What can I say - it is a good quality modem at a reasonable price, and it works as expected. I have not noticed any problems with it, except the limited lifespan.

You will be calling DrayTek within the year and it will go something like this:
"'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This modem is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-MODEM!"
on 15 October 2010
I recently moved and was forced to change my broadband connection to an ADSL2+ connection (sadly no cable) and went with an O2 Broadband package. They sent their O2 Wireless Box IV modem/router (which is really a Thomson TG587n v2 router in disguise with branded firmware and massively reduced functionality/configurability). I wasn't happy with not being able to configure the router the way I wanted and decided to use my existing D-Link VUP824+. I didn't want to invest in a dedicated ADSL modem/router, so opted to get an ADSL modem instead - hence the Vigor 120 (there's suprisingly few devices out there that simply perform as an ADSL modem).

Draytek have a FAQ page that describes how to configure the Vigor 120 for use with O2/BeThere, as they use a non-standard ADSL setup, MPoA rather than PPPoA. Following the instructions on the website, I configured the 120 to clone the O2 Wireless box MAC address and use MultiMode modulation, and acquired an IP address from O2 by connecting my laptop directly to the modem. Pretty straightforward. Took a reboot of the modem to get it to connect, but it does connect and seems pretty stable.

Plugging in the D-link router (modem ethernet -> D-link WAN input) and setting the router to Dynamic IP, it connected immediately and the router has an IP assigned from O2. So there's no issue with connecting a router to the Vigor via MPoA.

However, I did some speed tests using a bunch of online websites to compare speeds with the O2 Wireless Box and the Vigor 120. For some reason, I consistently seem to get a drop of around 300kbps on my download speed. Now given that I am a long way from the exchange, the maximum download speed I was getting was a crappy 3.3Mbps, so a loss of 300kbps is quite signficant. Upload speed seems to be about the same or very slightly better. I have read elsewhere that there is a speed cap of 7.5MBps that is a result of not using the Broadcom chipset, but since I'm a long way off that monumentous speed, I'm not too worried.

I am in communication with Draytek support to resolve the speed, and so far they've been pretty responsive. I will update this when the issue is resolved (or not).

Note that I did upgrade the Vigor 120 firmware to the latest 3.2.4.4.