on 28 December 2014
Just got this book a few weeks ago and i absolutely love it! I’ve looked at lots of art books/animation books before and i have to admit that i usually lose interest half way through and never finish them, i have never felt like I’ve learnt anything from them and all the information just seems to usually go over my head,but for some reason this book is different.

There is something about the way Walt's lectures are written that keeps you interested and makes the information sink in, i have never learnt as much from a book as I have from this book. Often books like this contain plenty of well drawn pictures, but very little information on the creative process behind the actual sketch, its the opposite here! There is lots of information and you truly feel like he's addressing you directly and the sketches are very tastefully used to illustrate his point. Most of the drawings are very loose sketches but i feel that they stick more so don’t dismiss them. After looking carefully at his examples and subconsciously taking his techniques on board i feel like i have gained an awful lot from studying such master’s suggestions and now everytime i draw i can hear his little tips repeating themselves in my head. I was wrong this isnt a how to guide, it isnt a book, but it is a record of Walt Stanchfields ideas, lessons and learnings.

Unfortunately if you are looking for a cheesy self help/ leran how to draw this isnt the book for you, its an insight into the teachings of an incredible animator who taught all the disney legends, Great book!
on 17 March 2017
I've just received the book and immediately started to read it. Why I never discovered Walt or this book (when it was released) before I don't know. Of the few pages I've read, I was giving several 'aHA!' moments. If you're an illustrator as I am you will appreciate Drawn to Life just as an animator would. It'll bring life back into your drawings (as I felt), rejuvenating your love for the craft. I only wish I could've taken a class with him.

BUY THE BOOK! I'm already planning on getting vol. II.
on 5 July 2010
Well, I bought this book based on the reviews and wow, I was not disappointed.

It is a treasure trove of hints, tips and study for animators... but it touches on so many other things as well. The best compliment I can pay it is that after reading 15 of the chapters (and this is a hefty book, great value for money) I went back to my sketchbook and saw an immediate improvement in my work (I am a graphic designer/illustrator).

Some of the tips are basic but will almost certainly improve the way you look at, appreciate and understand animation, movement, character design and the creative process that lies within all of them. It is written in a delightful manner and features plenty of fine examples from some of the greatest animators in Disney's rich history.

As another reviewer commented, it is not a 'how to draw' book. But it has already opened my eyes to a variety of techniques I wasn't aware of that have made a big difference to the way I work and I am not even half way through. It was good enough for me to go straight back on Amazon and order the second volume without a seconds hesitation.

If you are interested at all in drawing or animation, and particularly if you find your drawing style to be a little flat and lacking the wonderful energy that Disney characters invariably have, then this book is a must buy. For £13, you are bound to pick up tips that will last you a lifetime and an entertaining read to boot.
on 9 June 2017
A great guide to Disney artistry and history and how to understand the way they work. Lots of behind the scenes information for tricks of the trade. Very good book.
on 6 March 2017
very happy with it, order arrived on time! these books (vol 1 and 2) are a great resource for any artist out there who wants to work in the animation industry (but not only). I would highly recommend these books if you want to get better at gesture drawing, character design, etc.
on 4 August 2017
Excellent product and service
on 27 March 2017
good read
on 6 September 2017
Arrived quickly and safely
on 12 January 2013
I didn't realise just how huge these books are!
So much material in the two volumes. Just great!
Very pleased with the purchase
Drawn to Life is a collection of lectures from long-time Disney animator Walt Stanchfield. He has worked for Disney since the 1950s.

There are two volumes, each with over 400 pages. The reason for two volumes is probably to make the books easier to handle. Both are on gesture and life drawing, even though the cover art might suggest otherwise, especially the one with the lion. You can start reading from any book and any lecture. The order isn't important.

There are plenty of essays in the books. Each is a lesson relating to drawing and animation. It can be tangent drawings, creating believable characters, learning to observe, understanding gestures, etc. There are tips on almost anything relating to drawing. Loose and sketchy sketches serves as examples to the lessons.

These books are more thinking than drawing technique books. For example, the lessons are not about how to draw perspective, the lessons are about how to use perspective. You can view sample pages for volume one and volume two on amazon.com to get an idea.

The books represent a tremendous wealth of information and insight into drawing, animation and observation. After all, Walt Stanchfield has more than 50 years of experience in animation.

This book is recommended to those who are into animation and drawing.

There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.