on 3 November 2016
Perfect! Teach 16+ art at a college and has been such a fab tool in new ideas and ways! Cannot recommend highly enough. Suitable for so many ages with a wide variety of projects.
3 people found this helpful
on 1 August 2013
I really fancied this book as it sounded perfect for what I needed:get back into drawing withouth complicated and boring methods. At first I wasn' patient enough and just bought the Kindle version. I put a few exercises in practice and it was amazing. It really liberates you from rigid boring traditional techniques and has you trying stuff that might sound silly but actually help you out unleashing your creativity such as drawing with the 'wrong' hand or drawing without looking.

The kindle version is alright I guess, but as you know these electronic versions are completely wiped out of any fancy editorial design and left stripped down to the very basics, like a Word document, which is alright for books filled with just text but it's terrible for books with lots of color, images and design.

So I ordered the real book and I'm delighted it's even lovelier than what I had expected. It has a lot more images than the e-copy, the design is superb, the quality of the paper is matte and grainy so it feels very soulful and arty, and it's bigger and thicker than I expected. Big fan. I'll be buying more books like this by the same author for sure.
4 people found this helpful
on 8 November 2015
Approaches drawing from an entirely different angle. No lessons on shading, no lessons on perspective. How refreshing is that! Away you go! Just enjoy drawing for the fun of it. At the same time see what you can do mixing different media with your drawings. A great book. Thanks Carla Sonheim.
4 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2018
Not that impressed, nothing really catches my eye, techniques are what’s being produced elsewhere, a lot in doing and I’m a self taught beginner, so no big surprises or useful tips. Well written intros but gets boring part way through.
on 13 March 2016
bought as a present for my 8 yr old nice, she loved it, she started drawing straight away, so many different techniques, as Art professional I must say is a really good book for kids that want to get inspired and develop creativity.
3 people found this helpful
on 3 August 2012
This book is just GREAT! I have many drawing books in my collection and love to look at the pictures and read about the process, but have had a 'hate to practice' attitude.
From page 1, I crawled back into bed (as instructed) and drew. It starts at the fun end of drawing, where serendipity is of prime importance, and 'getting it right' is a foreign language (as long as you read the instructions?). Each lab exercise is growthful and a discovery, like growing up.....now each day has to begin with words and pictures. I get quite grumpy if something else takes priority!! Thank you. Thank you for putting 'learning to draw' the 'right' around.
One person found this helpful
on 25 September 2010
This book is an amazing collection of mixed media starting points. A grate self motivating book that generates loads of ideas to help you develop your style and skills. Useful if you just want to practice, get ready for college / uni or develop a body of work. Also useful if you are looking for alternative ideas. The crossover between mediums is also inspiring and you soon realise that there is not just 52 separate ideas in this book but a whole lifetime of combination. Well worth every penny.
15 people found this helpful
on 15 February 2011
I was a designer and illustrator many moons ago, then gradually moved to other less creative work, had kids and stopped drawing altogether. Reading this has inspired me to start drawing again. As it has vanished off my bookshelf I think Miss 8 has decided to seek some inspiration too. This has put the fun back into drawing.
7 people found this helpful
on 23 January 2013
I bought this as I wanted to start creating small illustrations, both for business and for fun, and this book is packed with great tips and exercises to make it all really appealing and fun! Plus the illustrations examples inside are amazing! I got the kindle version as I wanted to carry it around with me, so the only shame is that I cannot see the colours but the images look so beautiful anyway!
2 people found this helpful
on 2 October 2011
I received this a few days ago and have had a bash at a few of the ideas today.
I've been lacking inspiration so, a bit of direction was most welcome.
I enjoyed having a go at some of the tasks, and will probably tackle a few more.
Ideal for those times when your get up and go has got up and gone!
One person found this helpful