Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 March 1998
I checked this book out at the library, and am so impressed with it's complete contents that I'm now buying it, not only for myself, but also a copy for an artist friend who is just starting out. I am a watercolorist, and drawing techniques haven't been a great deal of emphasis to me. After looking over and reading this book, I'm re-thinking that philosophy. This book covers some excellent, PRACTICAL techniques and basic coverage of composition: what is and isn't good composition, how to create a good composition, and a review of compositions past masters have used. It covers basic equipment, techniques, of geometric shapes and their application to real world objects, types of drawing tools such as pencil and ink, and their uses and styles. There are also good practical excersises. This is a good, basic book on drawing and I highly recommend it. One of the best parts, too, is it's reasonable price!
on 13 October 2005
From the blurb this book seemed to cover a wide variety of techniques for drawing with some useful advice and introduction to different tools and paper with some good exercises/examples to inspire. I cant say that it doesn't do this to some extent but for me this was a waste of money. Almost all the drawing were uninspiring and lacking in that certain something that makes you want to try learning the technique (when I did try it seemed a bit easy) and too much space was taken up with ink drawing of a very certain style. It is not so much that this book isn't good but I just think there is so much better out there that would cover many more styles in a more useful way for a beginner. For me this is a 2 star but I think this is partly due to my own preference in style etc.
So in summery parts were useful but overall not as good as others out there and I certainly would not describe it as a handbook.
on 23 April 2012
I have only had a chance to glance at this book so far, but what I have seen is very inspiring and will encourage me to keep practising my drawing.
on 19 December 2009
This book covers everything the learner needs to know, and a bit more. If you can only afford one drawing book, this will do fine.