on 6 March 2014
I bought this for painting miniatures and the clarity provided by both the light and magnifying lens enables me to pick out so much detail on my models. The lamp doesn't emit much heat, apart from the box on the arm, which can get very hot after prolonged use.

Despite this being a great product, it is after all a mangifying glass and can therefore be quite dangerous. I woke up yesterday morning to discover smoke filling my flat. I ran into the study where the strong morning sunlight had caught the magnifying lens just right, and incredibly managed to set fire to a coat I had slung over my office chair! The coat was ruined, the chair a little charred, but thankfully the damage was relatively minimal. Obviously that incident was my fault entirely, in future I'll make sure I keep the magnifying glass covered when not in use, or at least keep it way of the sun's reach.
on 2 February 2009
I bought this for my mother, whose sight is failing. It is absolutely fantastic for this purpose, giving a great shadow-free light and a wide view, enabling her to read much more easily. Solidly made.
on 8 February 2009
The delivery was on the next day, very good. The lamp itself seems to be of a very good quality. This quality could have been described even better on the web.
-The warming-up time
-special functions like the quick warm-up button
-detailed photos of the fixing to the table and the lamp itself.
on 6 April 2015
Failed after third turn so I printed a return label with Amazon. Read on-line about the second button for 'slow-starts' of the bulb so I kept going with it. Some days it worked some it never starts. After 2 months I've had enough - only to read that it's now beyond Amazon's returns policy of 30 days! Going to ring them as clearly the item itself is faulty. Couldn't even get a spare bulb for it so looking elsewhere. It's pretty heavy, when it worked it was brilliant but that's its achilles heel - fails to start 90% of the time. Should be zero stars but Amazon seem incapable of listening to people who are asking for that option.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 December 2009
This item will seem larger than you anticipated when first out of the box but it soon becomes part of your desk setup and you will not even notice it's there. It's very sturdy and swivels whichever way you need it to but will not go to perfectly vertical.

The light and magnification has made a huge difference to my specialist need which is mainly looking at old postcards. Seeing more detail is clearly one advantage but the hands free benefit is equally advantageous. I would happily recommend this product which comes with full instructions INCLUDING the proper function of the second switch which is mainly to cut out any flickering if there is any - I have had none at all.
on 13 February 2013
The spring bracket on this item failed after 12 months and 1 week. Draper would not replace under warranty even though it was only 1 week over.

I would not recommend this product or Draper based on the poor quality and support for this product.
on 14 January 2010
The magnifying lamp itself is a high quality piece of gear.

It arrived with the circular fluorescent tube smashed. One email to the manufacturer, Draper, and a few days later TWO tubes arrived (just after Christmas) foc.

That is excellant customer service.

Combine the two comments - and you have a very professional odering, delivery and customer care process.

Many thanks, J
on 29 May 2014
Not recommended as my experience was not satisfactory. Original lamp was broken and not usable. Replacement took months to come (literally) and very soon afterwards that stopped working and couldn't be bothered to send it back and have months more waiting for probably the same result. Wouldn't buy this personally.
on 8 October 2009
I was very disappointed with this light. The description of the item is incomplete, as it doesn't explain about the different modes of the two switches which are very odd. One is a fixed on/off, the other is a press and release OFF switch, which is no use to man nor beast. The build quality on the original and its replacement were poor and both were faulty. the replacement gave off a very loud buzz from the fluorescent ballast, which would have driven me mad for the prolonged use for which it was intended. I can't fault the company on their logistics and customer service though. Its a shame really as it would have been ideal. My search for decent magnifying lamp continues.
on 26 January 2014
Its a great lamp. Seems really big at first, but I quickly got used to it and I love it.
It has bright, natural light plus its has a really long reach.

However after a week the bulb begin to flicker a little bit. Now it just give out dim light :(
But its a bulb they break on occasions.

See one answered question